Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I use the regular grip liner bought from walmart, etc., as substrate separator? I mean the mesh to be used between leca/hytroton and the substrate mixture. The liner will allow drainage and will not degrade easily. Not sure if the material would be toxic to the plant/root/springtails though. I have only three 10 gal vert to build, buying an entire roll of fiberglass screen seems wasting...

another question by the way, I am planning to pour the substrate in following sequence. Is it correct?
Hydroton, separator/mesh, coco husk, ABG mix, sphagnum moss, leaf litter.

Thank you for any input!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I don't know anything about that stuff. However, I have known of people who use the plastic mesh found in the sewing/knitting area. The kind used for cross stitch. It's pretty cheap. I'll see if I can find a picture to show what I mean.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Fiberglass screen mesh is tried and true. It's been tested and used by MANY before you, for many years. It is very cheap, available in very small rolls (small enough to do only a couple of windows), and can usually be picked up for free. Go anywhere that does screen work, bring them a picture of your frog, and ask for a piece of scrap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fiberglass screen mesh is tried and true. It's been tested and used by MANY before you, for many years. It is very cheap, available in very small rolls (small enough to do only a couple of windows), and can usually be picked up for free. Go anywhere that does screen work, bring them a picture of your frog, and ask for a piece of scrap.
Pumilo, you are right. I bought one roll of "clear" fiberglass screen at lowes today for $7.50 something. It can be used both as substrate separator and ventilation screen I guess. nice deal :D

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
It will work great for you. Money well spent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts