Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Well, it has nothing to do with cakes or moths. Nor Sanskrit, Buddhism, or Crete. No Mandalas.

It's Matala, the water-filtration medium.
Matala Filter Media Info

Check these vids for an overview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7cWfa9jOWw

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_hhPhp_-2M

Oh yeah! Pond filter. LOL, my company does pond maintenance and we use it all the time! I just didn't know it as Mantala also didn't ever think to use it as a false bottom. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I view it as a "premium" version of the egg crate/PVC combo. If done correctly both provide the same functionality, but I found Matala to be both easier and quicker to install. Just depends on your personal preference.
Agreed. I love Matala. Yes - it's crazy expensive. But I can make a false bottom in five minutes time with a serrated kitchen knife. Rounded edges, multiple layers - no problem. No tie wraps. No wicking. Easy to drain if necessary. And you can't beat its virtual weightlessness. Plus - It's so solid that I can put a heavy river rock on it and know it will be supported. My frogs never go beneath it either. What's not to love? [other than the price tag]. I use the coarse black and have it in probably two dozen vivs (at least) with no regrets.

·
Registered
59 Posts
@socraticmonologue, I'm doing some early planning for a little 18x18x24 build and am thinking about following your lead and using a couple sheets of mantala as a drainage layer with a small cut in the corner for a siphon area/pond.

I'm curious if you treated the mantala at all around the edges of the pond area to protect the frogs from possible abrasion. I like the look of the rocks you placed there, but did you add anything extra behind them? I noticed that some others have had frogs get snagged in mantala and if I go this route I'd want to protect it somehow along the exposed pond edge. I was thinking about siliconing the edge and then poking some small holes throughout to still allow water flow. Does that seem overly cautious?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use Matala for false bottoms — personally I wouldn’t want frogs coming in contact with the edges at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
I put a layer of Glass Box Tropicals' "substrate barrier" (looks like landscape fabric to me) down on top of the Matala. I cut the barrier material about 2" larger than needed, and then folded the extra up against the sides of the viv, then backfilled with ABG to press the barrier up against the glass and seal around the edges of the Matala.

Your thought about siliconing and cutting holes for drainage suggests that you aren't imagining Matala correctly. It is a very open weave (think Brillo pad), so drainage through the material is like a coarse sieve (hence the need for barrier fabric).

On the water area, the substrate barrier simply follows the contour of the cut edge (I cut at an angle as best I could) down to the bottom glass, the the aquarium gravel holds the barrier down. The rocks cover the substrate barrier (for aesthetics) and serve as a bit of a wall to prevent ABG from washing into the pond (I don't think this would happen much -- ABG stays in place better than soil or the like).

You are correct to not allow frogs to come in contact with the Matala -- they'd likely get tangled in it.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Here's another -- a 12 x 12 x 18 that I'm using to prove out a pair of imis. I did the water area a different shape on this one.

All three of the vivs I've mentioned in this thread I did with one half sheet of Matala (the first viv is a double layer, these last two are one layer of Matala in each.

Attachments

Reactions: Fahad

·
Registered
59 Posts
Those turned out really nice! I'm going to try for something similar to your corner pond, keeping it quite small. I've always liked the look of a small "bank" area. I know my imitators don't care but I figure if I need a way to drain anyway (and don't want to mess with drilling glass), I might as well make it look nicer than a piece of PVC pipe in the corner. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Thanks for the complement!

I agree about this being a reasonable solution for drainage. If/when I set up another viv like this, I think I'll make the drainage area just a little sink in a corner, since any open water is just a waste of space.

Let us know how yours turns out. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey, so where do you guys who have used Mantala actually, you know, buy it? Whoever manufactures it must not have ever heard of SEO, or possibly the internet, because I can't find anything at all about it outside these forums! :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey, so where do you guys who have used Mantala actually, you know, buy it? Whoever manufactures it must not have ever heard of SEO, or possibly the internet, because I can't find anything at all about it outside these forums! :confused:
I got mine at:
https://aaapondsupply.shop

Which I’m sure I found referenced here on the site somewhere.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got it at my local pond supply, installation place...they had all the types

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hey, so where do you guys who have used Mantala actually, you know, buy it? Whoever manufactures it must not have ever heard of SEO, or possibly the internet, because I can't find anything at all about it outside these forums!
Well, as you've found, correct spelling does facilitate written (or phonetic...) communication. Ha ha.

Yes, they're on the innerwebs. Here's how I found them:
Matala USA Think Progressive... Think Matala

Once there I clicked "Find a Dealer" (Locate an Authorized Matala Retail Dealer - Matala USA)

I found an out-of-state (but not terribly distant) dealer who does free shipping. And sometimes has bulk discounts. (It's the guy in Victorville, CA - I've done business with him, and I've got no complaints.) You might be able to find a good deal & good service too, by asking around.

I got it at my local pond supply, installation place...they had all the types
This obviously can work too. I think this must be where people get the impression Matala is crazy-expensive. Mark-up is a bitch maybe? Ha ha. If you don't have a herp room or a viv-crafting passion/addiction (ahem...yeah that's me...) this might be a good route for you. But I've found bulk-purchasing to be vastly cheaper, as well as very conducive to getting my craft on. When you need a hit, you need a hit. Ha ha.

Good luck!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Excellent illustration of the point I was trying to make. The Amazon quote of $54.88 for a half sheet is slightly more than double the price of $54.00 a full sheet, from the authorized dealer:

https://calponds.com/matala-products/black-matala-low-density-biological-filter-media-for-ponds-full-sheets

A while back - about 2 years ago I think - I bought a 4-pack of full sheets, and got free shipping from the dealer. I'm not sure if that's a standing policy or a once-in-a-while perq, but...it's what I experienced. I still have about a sheet and a half. It's really nice to just have some on hand, for when the spirit of Mr Jones moves me...

Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't think Mark up was too bad... I think I paid $45 for a full sheet

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Excellent illustration of the point I was trying to make. The Amazon quote of $54.88 for a half sheet is slightly more than double the price of $54.00 a full sheet, from the authorized dealer:

https://calponds.com/matala-products/black-matala-low-density-biological-filter-media-for-ponds-full-sheets
Cheers
There's no free shipping of Matala at that link -- adds $35 for a full sheet to ship to WI. Still a better price than the Amazon link, if you want a full sheet.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts