Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been lurking around here for a while, forming ideas, and thought I would say hey to everybody. Have all the equipment I need to build my first viv, just waiting on the apartment to get treated. I don't quite remember when I first got into darts but its been a while since I first came across black jungle, and I've just been doing a lot of planning since then. I have experience raising both leopard frogs and grey tree frogs from egg to froglet, so I'm fairly confident in my ability to raise darts. I'm a huge sucker for varadero and benedicta

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I'm a huge sucker for varadero and benedicta
I agree, those are very pretty frogs. But if you have never kept any kind of dart frog before, I would reccomend starting with something a little more novice, like luecs or tincs. I started with D. tinctorius azureus. If you want variety of choices I would get tincs, just because there are so many to choose from, and all of the choices are very bold and very pretty. If you want something with a nice call, bold personalities, and are beautiful, I'd get the leucs. I've never heard a luec call before in person, but I've heard that it is very pretty. I've never kept a leuc before either, but I've also heard they are one of the best begginer poison dart frogs.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i'd get benedicta out of your mind. they are part of the fantastica complex, which are generally shy and difficult frogs, and they start at about $300ea and go up from there.

although still not the best choice, the varadero are far better for you. they are imitators, so fairly easy, and will only set you back $75ea

james

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh believe me I have no intentions of starting with benedicta. It's more of a price issue rather than a lack of confidence or experience. It is my hope that I will eventually end up with a pair though.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Oh believe me I have no intentions of starting with benedicta. It's more of a price issue rather than a lack of confidence or experience. It is my hope that I will eventually end up with a pair though.
I wouldn't blame ya, benedicta is very beautiful.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Welcome, good to see another GA frogger. Repticon is this weekend in Lawrenceville...may be worth the trip. If you need any help locating frogs, feeders, supplies, etc shoot me a pm. Anyway, welcome and good luck with your first build!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome, good to see another GA frogger. Repticon is this weekend in Lawrenceville...may be worth the trip. If you need any help locating frogs, feeders, supplies, etc shoot me a pm. Anyway, welcome and good luck with your first build!
Thanks! I had considered going to repticon, but what with school I don't think it's in the cards this time. Maybe July.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts