Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'd been thinking about getting some dart frogs years ago and have been lurking on Dendroboard for nearly a decade. But events intervened and I never even got around to introducing myself, let alone getting frogs.

It's been nagging at the back of my mind though, so just shy of a year ago I finally bit the bullet and bought an 18x18x24 tank and associated gear. Then covid hit, and things got put on the back burner again. Over the last few months though I've managed to get it to the point where the plants have gone into my first viv, so I figured it was about time for some proper introductions and a pic of the tank. Afterall, things can start dying now, so I'll be needing advice. It's been a long road to get this far, and I've made plenty of mistakes along the way, but nothing too serious, and Dendroboard has been a phenomenal mine of helpful information.

Best regards

Ben

Oh, and apologies for the overexposure on the photo - it's just a phone pic. I'll try and get something better when I've got chance. And I'll try and produce an after-the-fact build log describing what I did - and what went wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard. Your tank looks very nice. What species of frog are you planning to get?
Thanks fishingguy.

Not absolutely sure yet wrt frogs. I really fancy Ranitomeya, and hopefully the tank would suit their arboreal nature. But I'm a bit worried having them as our first frogs. Maybe Leucs would be easier (more robust?) to start with.

Plenty of time before I decide though. At the moment I'm letting things grow in while I try and get the temperature/humidity balance right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi and welcome to the forum. Your tank has "good bones", looking forward to seeing it grown in. Cheers
Thanks varanoid. I'm looking forward to it too. I was a little worried about taking up too much volume with the diagonal cork branch (the biggest "bone"), but I think it works okay. Hopefully it adds to, rather than detracts from, the space available to the frogs.

As for growing in, I guess that as things progress some plants will thrive and some plants will wither. Being my first viv I didn't really have a feel for what would work, other than broms up top near the lights.

Welcome!

Leucs are arboreal, too, and make great first frogs -- they were my first. :)
Leucs look like spandex super heroes. They brandish space like it too.
Thanks, and agreed. Leucs look great. I'm still drawn to Ranitomeya though... I think the combination of so many colours and patterns is amazing.

Also, I believe Leucs can be a bit "loud", which might not suit the current tank location (my son's bedroom - although that might change). And since it'd be nice to try breeding at some point, having the parents care for the young seems an easy(er) route. From what I understand, R. Imitator are faculative egg feeders and tadpoles/froglets might be raisable (sic?) "in tank"? As I said though, plenty of time to decide.

Welcome Ben from somebody else from the Sunny UK. Looks like you have made a great start.
Thanks Chiller, very kind. I suspect the "start" might have been the easy bit. And I'm pretty sure Sunny should be in quotation marks ... ;-)

Thanks, glad to be here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts