Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow hobbyists a new user from the Netherlands
Since a week working on a new project in start-up :)
For now, first find the right light settings
Here are some pictures

Regards *******

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
Welcome to the board! Those are some nice tanks! I like the subtlety of the backgrounds. Can you explain how you did that? Is it wood in the background with loose tree fern fiber silconed to it? Looks like there is some sort of fill in there, too. Good work!

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the board! Those are some nice tanks! I like the subtlety of the backgrounds. Can you explain how you did that? Is it wood in the background with loose tree fern fiber silconed to it? Looks like there is some sort of fill in there, too. Good work!

Mark
Hi

This is created by the owner off frogsandmore
See the link below

Cheers

Mossontreefern

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello! get some bromeliads in there! that makes it look so much more like a jungle. the background will be very nice if you keep it wet. hopefully it will turn green. Bromelienwestermann sells loaaads of broms. he lives just over the border in germany.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Mark
Hey Mark,

Those are Tree Fern Panels. I used a couple in my recent builds as well. Similar to using a cork background, you can cut to size. Pricey though!

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
Yeah, I thought I recognized some other stuff showing through that made it look like the tree fern was just a veneer over something else. That is a really nice looking background. I have thought about using something like that before, but I thought there were issues with sustainable harvest on those products.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
I have thought about using something like that before, but I thought there were issues with sustainable harvest on those products.

Mark
There are. I stopped using tree fern on backgrounds or in substrate mixes years ago for that reason, but I do still see it frequently in Euro builds. Looks nice, works great, but not very eco-friendly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks nice, works great, but not very eco-friendly...
[Off-topic answer]
please note:
You probably forgot for a moment that America, and then, in particular the U.S. is the second most polluting nation in the world? And that it even left the Paris climate agreement (CO2) in 2017?
Furthermore, I agree that we should be careful not to rob the world of nature.

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
You probably forgot for a moment that America, and then, in particular the U.S. is the second most polluting nation in the world? And that it even left the Paris climate agreement (CO2) in 2017?
Yes, our elected representatives leave a lot to be desired. That doesn't entail that some citizens can't do what they are able to minimize the harm. :)

Reactions: Tijl

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes, our elected representatives leave a lot to be desired. That doesn't entail that some citizens can't do what they are able to minimize the harm.
It is also very difficult when choosing materials to imitate a piece of nature. On the one hand you want to use natural products, on the other you make the choice to use chemical products ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
[Off-topic answer]
please note:
Furthermore, I agree that we should be careful not to rob the world of nature.
I wasn't consulted in either of those situations. I stated MY position on the Dicksonia issue.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm not sure how truly sustainable the practices are (they claim they are sustainable!), but this is where all the fern panels and "substrate" in Canada (that I know of) comes from: About us - Fernwood

I hope they are...I just used them and would hate to think that I was now complicit in some grossly mismanaged forestry practice.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As far as I know, the peat roots sold in the Netherlands are not harvested from the wild, but come from specially established nurseries, such as from New Zealand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts