Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
A little sleuthing on the net has produced these possible "yeasts".. not in order of probability

1) Chlamydomonas was referred to occassionally in the past as a green yeast

2) a sustainably produced yeast in which case it is a nutritional yeast

3) Kluyveromyces marxianus a lactic acid producing yeast .

Ed

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
I haven't bought bakers yeast in 10+ years. Active yeast will come in on the fruit fly's feet - no real need to add more.

s

Adding some to the cultures encourges a more rapid egg deposition...

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
Me

I have been using it for 6+ mo actually although I do add the fine brewers yeast to my mix too.

The 'green' yeast is from Diamond brand and is a Brewers feed yeast for livestock.

I think this was it Countryside Organics*::*For Your Farm Animals*::*Nutritional Supplements*::*Brewers Yeast, Diamond V XP Green Yeast Culture, 50 lb.

I would just get some additional nutritional brewers yeast from a sponsor and add it 50:50.

Also, more sugar = more production, and I would rec you try dry molasses from Bulk Foods.com. It works very well.
This information combined with his recipe , it sounds like he may have the protein content too high as that can reduce production.

I don't use that brand of nutritional yeast but another one for animals as it is way cheaper than that used for humans and it gives good production with the modified Carolina mix I use. I'll have to mark the link if I need to reorder.

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
What I meant Ed ... it takes two weeks from creating a culture to the time I use those cultures to create new cultures, and then start using them to feed out.

I don't need a faster cycle (for initial use).

s
I was busting your chops.. obviously too vague and too dry..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.