Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Does that green yeast work? I started using it a few weeks ago and I am not getting very many flies! Does anybody have the regular stuff for sale? I have alot of mouth's to fed and have a big shortage. thanks nervous nelly.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Never heard of green yeast, is it an active form used for baking? If so you have the wrong stuff, the yeast you use for FF mix is brewer's or nutritional. Active yest is only used to sprinkle a small amount on a new culture, it does not provide the needed nutrients in the mix.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Whatever are you talking about? Green Yeast? I've never heard of such a thing. Regular active bakers yeast can be purchased at any grocery store if you want yeast to sprinkle on top of your cultures. Regular Brewers yeast can be purchased at any health store, or at Josh's frogs, if you are looking for yeast to mix into a homemade FF media.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought it at frog day to make my own fly mix along with potato flakes. once all mixed with my secret ingredients I sprinkle the active yeast on top. I had heard this green yeast was better then the regular brewers yeast. I appears my fly production does not do well with this stuff. Thanks John

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Is it Spirulina by chance? If so it is a good additive but does not replace brewer's/nutritional yeast.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No its not spirulina i have that also. It is a coarse tan powder that you mix with your flakes. Its called green because i guess it is active. I also purchased some online from health food store.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey John, how about a complete breakdown of the recipe you are using? We could be much more helpful with a recipe. I'm guessing Tony is right and you have some Spirolina. Is it a very, very dark green powder?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Doug, Its 2 cups potatoe flake, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 cup brewers yeast ( which is where i substituted in the green yeast), cinuminin, and paprika. then of coarse the bakers yeast on top. All was well until I started using the green yeast which i thought was suppose to be better. Have to go back using the real fine brewers yeast and hope I can get flies soon. Spirulina I use for tadpoles on occasion. John

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Sounds like a basic Carolina mix. I think it's a bit low on potato, though. Typical ratios are more like this:
6 cups potato flakes
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 cups brewers yeast
So that would put your recipe about a cup low on potato. That means you have too much sugar. And yes, I would change back to a tried and true yeast.
Here is a thread discussing Carolina ratios. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/67563-ff-culture-media.html
Josh's Frogs sell 5 lbs of brewers yeast for $11.99 or 50 lbs for $74.99.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everybody for your help. I will order some new stuff and adjust my mix ratio. It may have become a little screwed up. i have been doing it from memory so it may have changed over time in my head. John

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
A little sleuthing on the net has produced these possible "yeasts".. not in order of probability

1) Chlamydomonas was referred to occassionally in the past as a green yeast

2) a sustainably produced yeast in which case it is a nutritional yeast

3) Kluyveromyces marxianus a lactic acid producing yeast .

Ed

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I haven't bought bakers yeast in 10+ years. Active yeast will come in on the fruit fly's feet - no real need to add more.

s

Adding some to the cultures encourges a more rapid egg deposition...

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Me

I have been using it for 6+ mo actually although I do add the fine brewers yeast to my mix too.

The 'green' yeast is from Diamond brand and is a Brewers feed yeast for livestock.

I think this was it http://www.countrysideorganics.com/product.php?productid=177

I would just get some additional nutritional brewers yeast from a sponsor and add it 50:50.

Also, more sugar = more production, and I would rec you try dry molasses from Bulk Foods.com. It works very well.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Me

I have been using it for 6+ mo actually although I do add the fine brewers yeast to my mix too.

The 'green' yeast is from Diamond brand and is a Brewers feed yeast for livestock.

I think this was it Countryside Organics*::*For Your Farm Animals*::*Nutritional Supplements*::*Brewers Yeast, Diamond V XP Green Yeast Culture, 50 lb.

I would just get some additional nutritional brewers yeast from a sponsor and add it 50:50.

Also, more sugar = more production, and I would rec you try dry molasses from Bulk Foods.com. It works very well.
This information combined with his recipe , it sounds like he may have the protein content too high as that can reduce production.

I don't use that brand of nutritional yeast but another one for animals as it is way cheaper than that used for humans and it gives good production with the modified Carolina mix I use. I'll have to mark the link if I need to reorder.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, Thanks jeremy for the offer. I am squeking by but if i need flies i will buzz you. Yes I did buy it by sport docs table. I also ordered a 55 lb bag from the same place. this green yeast also works great in septic systems. Will take in all this advice and use a 50/50 mix with the other yeast that i have ordered from Josh. Will also look into dry malasasas. I did use malt to make beer as a sugar for a while and it worked good but became very hard also a bit expensive. Thanks all John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts