Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok someone clear this up for me. I have heard that the offspring of green spips, are lime green in captivity? I realy want some lime green after i get some table top tincs. Any info on sips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I just got 2 from medusalab. The breeders that he has produce green and yellow froglets, the adults could be all green and still produce yellow froglets, its a very mixed out come. He sent me pics and they all looked really nice. I got 2 green ones from him but the one was like 1/2 the size of the other and was never able to get the flys in his mouth and then would loose interest in them and finaly he just died. So I emailed him and asked if he wanted to work a deal out that if I were to buy another frog would he throw in an extra to make up for the lost one and he had no porblem with that. But as for the colors in captivity I have seen some that were dayglo green like a highligher marker, lime, yellow-ish lime, and some that were really washed out.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I've seen his (Medusa Labs) darts at an expo. They were called "Green Leopards" Just like Patrick's. They were all a greenish color and about 3/4" at largest. Patrick dwarfed them, but I think costed a few dollars more? I'm not sure on the pricing though.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
So you think Medusa Lab are also sells these dwarfed frogs? He was selling them as Green sips and I dont think the "Green leopards" that Sean sells ever turn out yellow like some of these are.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
So you think Medusa Lab are also sells these dwarfed frogs? He was selling them as Green sips and I dont think the "Green leopards" that Sean sells ever turn out yellow like some of these are.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My Green Sips from Patrick (he markets them as Green Leopard) have maintained a "dayglo" lime coloration and all offspring have always been the same coloration. The only variation I've had is the spot pattern - some have large patterns like a cobalt and others have very small spotting like an azureus.

I've never seen Justins Green sips so I can't comment on his but I can say that many people have reported that some sips seem to have a great deal of variation in offspring coloration.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I was sold Blue sips... but as they matured they became more of a green. They look close to the ones pictured on Patricks sight. I think the Sips will produce varied young, and that it is just natural variation. Of course diet could also affect this sort of thing. There are some very nice "pure" looking adults, but I bet their young still come out in slightly different colors and that this isn't a problem. If you paired 2 lime green ones I assume it would increase your chances of lime green offspring... so you could always breed them that way, but I am not sure that is really needed. I am happy that mine turned more green then blue, and it was intersting to see them change over time... but that could just be me. I am not too sure how valid these morphs are in the wild... so we could just be doing some designer breeding and creating new ones that aren't even true. There is also a "True Sip" morph, and it looks different then the others. I think Sean Stewart might have them... have to check his site, but they are interesting as well. Don't know if I made sense, but oh well.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Jon,
I've had the same thoughts (doubts) about all the sip morphs. When the first imports came in, none seemed to breed true and I've often wondered if the blues, greens and yellows that breed true today aren't a result of designer breeding. Probably not intentional - I can imagine someone offering offspring from early imports and buyers picking out frogs with similiar coloration and so on. Eventually you wind up with e few that breed true.
Sean Stewart says that his yellows breed true. I wonder if these are from WC and if he has any locality data from them?
Just some thoughts ...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
When I say dwarfed, I meant Justin's were much smaller, therefore, their pattern wasn't as distinguishable. They had larger spots it seemed, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got his adults form Patrick or of Patrick's bloodline.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts