Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of green and black auratus frogs for few months now in a well planted viv. They seem to hide all the time! They don't even come out to feed! I have to put food where they hide. Any ideas on how to get them to be less shy?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
My auratus "microspot" are always housing at the back under leaves behind plants. I've had a bit more success with them being out when I moved the lights all it wasn't quite as bright on one side of the tank.

·
Super Moderator
3,322 Posts
Can you link to pics/video of the viv and the frogs? And give details -- viv size, number of frogs, feeding schedule, etc.

Most frogs appreciate dim light, and quiet environs (are they out and about if you look at the viv from around a corner where they can't see you? Is the viv in a traffic area of the house?)

Auratus are said to be bolder when humidity is appropriate. What's the misting schedule, and how much ventilation does the viv have?

Reactions: kmitrain

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’ve had mine for about 3 years now and I’m lucky if I see anything once every couple of months. They just seem to be a very shy frog. That being said I’ve seen other that are so bold they jump out the viv! Tried heavily planted, high light, low light even no light and it’s always been the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm sure the conditions mentioned have some effect, but I also get the impression that there's a lot of natural variability in boldness among auratus. My green and blacks are quite bold. I don't often see them just hanging out in the open, but when I feed or mist they come out right away to hunt. They're in a quite heavily planted 65 gallon in a high traffic area of the house. You might also just need to give them more time. I didn't see mine, even at feeding time, for the first month or two after I got them. They might acclimate with some more time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My super blue are the least shy, then B&B and then G&B. The G& B duck for cover pretty quickly when approached and theyre no spring chickens

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi my viv is 45x45x45 I have jungle dawn light which is facing upwards to reduce the light. I must once a day using a hand mister. It's in a room with low traffic. Even when I look from a distance they are hiding.

·
Super Moderator
3,322 Posts
I must once a day using a hand mister.
Unless the viv is sealed pretty tightly (which I don't recommend), they might be too dry -- the number one reason for shy auratus, I'm led to believe.

What is the ventilation like (i.e. how much of the top is covered, and how much is screen)?

Can you post pics? Worth a thousand words, and all that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless the viv is sealed pretty tightly (which I don't recommend), they might be too dry -- the number one reason for shy auratus, I'm led to believe.

What is the ventilation like (i.e. how much of the top is covered, and how much is screen)?

Can you post pics? Worth a thousand words, and all that.
I don't seem to be able to insert and attachment! The cover of the Viv is eco terra mesh with a light hod. I will try and mist more and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
3,322 Posts
I don't seem to be able to insert and attachment! The cover of the Viv is eco terra mesh with a light hod. I will try and mist more and see what happens.
Yes, you have to load pics onto an image sharing site and link to them.

If you have a full screen top, I'm sort of surprised the frogs are doing well at all. Please do read up on the humidity and ventilation requirements of your frogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts