Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably has been brought up before but i could find an answer to my specific question. Can greatstuff be applied straight to the glass and have a strong hold?

if so is it easy to get off incase i want to get rid of it?

In my past viv i have just silicones a sheet of styrofoam and then worked off of that but i feel al though that just adds more thickness to my background and takes away from my land area. Not that big of a deal but i wanna see if other ways are possible.

·
Registered
432 Posts
hey, i just siliconed the back of the tank with black silicone. then just sprayed the foam. i have never just using the foam. But i think it will work if you let it cure. anyone eles jump in

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think you can do it either way but its suggested to apply silicone, then GS. some people have posted stuff about their GS peeling and collapsing eventually without silicone.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea ill probably just end up sliconing a thin sheet of styrofoam to the back and work off that. i feel like it will be easier to clean the tank up that way if i decide to tear it down in the future. i few beads of silicone will come up alot easier then if the whole back was covered in silicone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've done it both ways. The GS adheres to the glass just fine without the styrofoam and when it comes time to break down the tank it comes off very easily in large pieces

Ryan

·
Registered
359 Posts
GS directly to glass.

Started November 2010

Worked on May 2011

Still working in August 2011

Just don't forget to clean the glass with spirit beforehand.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GS directly to glass.

Started November 2010

Worked on May 2011

Still working in August 2011

Just don't forget to clean the glass with spirit beforehand.
wow good job man, looks awesome. yea i wasnt that worried about the GS not holding that good to glass but i just didnt want my whole background at some point to come tumbling down. i also will be incorperating some fake rocks and some drift wood into the GS and will be siliconing these to the glass before i apply the GS. I think this will also stregthen the background because it will give the GS another thing to hold on to. Thanks for the peace of mind tho;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts