Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been spending some time over the past week or so mounting my hardscape with GreatStuff. I'm just noticing that the areas I've applied it to that isn't porous, specifically silicon, is showing that the GS is shrinking back and peeling back.

Anyone else have this issue? Currently I'm just refilling the area with fresh GS.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I haven't run into this. Might have something to do with applying it to silicone versus glass, wood, etc.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the silicon isn't letting it stick 100%. Has anyone used some form of grout in a Viv before to fill in cracks?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recently had this problem with the black GS -- it definitely shrank and peeled off the glass over the course of a few days. I don't think it's as much of a problem with the standard GS.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using the standard GS. This is interesting. I think the back fill I did with an additional spray helped, but I will have to see.

What I'd like to find is a grout that I can use.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've used the black in the past without issue, then bought a case of the original yellow stuff since it was cheaper....I regret it, every enclosure I used it in has cracks and gaps from the foam shrinking. Different cure times, different coatings, different environments...still poor results. I haven't had a background completely separate from the glass, though. Just enough to be annoying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It might depend on the type you use as well although I'm not sure. I accidentally bought the wrong type at first and it shrank and peeled a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
GS will pull back off of surfaces applied to if put on too thick on the first coat since the foam exposed to air cures faster than the unexposed areas. When using GS we apply a thin layer 1st and allow to fully cure before building up the depth we want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts