Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see everyone doing these nice builds and after months of grow in time their plants are doing great and growing all over their great stuff. My question is how???? my last viv I tried with GS the plants would not grow on it and I dont know why. Is it mainly a light problem, is it what u put on the GS the humidity or what. Im thinking about redoing my bowfront I just built because its not doing nearly as good as i hoped and the waterfall was a mistake ( yet again) ill learn this time. but I cant decide if Im going to go GS or Dr Elseys Cat litter. Pros VS Cons?????

·
Registered
309 Posts
It would help to see some pictures to get an idea of your technique, types of plants, substrate, humidity levels, etc. With the exception of Brom's I don't actually attach many plants to the GS backing. I cover hydroponic plant holders with GS if I want plants along a wall or something. After 6 mos’ it appears as if plants are coming out of the walls and depending of the plant everywhere else as well. Some plants do very well in a humid environment while others need adequate venting and a drying out period.
Hope this helps
Brian

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
"It really depends on the planets your using."

I hope he is using earth as his planet, it will be very difficult to build a viv with live plants outside our atmosphere. (Sorry B-Nice couldn't resist)

David, like BR5 mentioned the hydroponic plant baskets work best, you can get them a number of places and I know Black Jungle has some pretty cheap. Secure them to our background with gorilla glue, GS, or silicone and build around them with the GS and they will appear to be part of your wall. As long as you create some room on the backround to put some soil or sphagnum in little pocket-like areas this will be enough to root some trailing plants. You can use many different techniques to create the 'pockets' plastic cups, film canisters, or mold the foam with your hands (make sure to wear gloves!). Ficus Pumilia was recommended, it is hardy and goes crazy. Some of the selligenella sp's work good for this effect too.

I am actually just finishing up a build using GS and gorilla glue on a cork bark mosaic style background with the hydroponic plant baskets, looks pretty good so far. I will take some pics and post for you.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

I hope he is using earth as his planet, it will be very difficult to build a viv with live plants outside our atmosphere. (Sorry B-Nice couldn't resist)

David, like BR5 mentioned the hydroponic plant baskets work best, you can get them a number of places and I know Black Jungle has some pretty cheap. Secure them to our background with gorilla glue, GS, or silicone and build around them with the GS and they will appear to be part of your wall. As long as you create some room on the backround to put some soil or sphagnum in little pocket-like areas this will be enough to root some trailing plants. You can use many different techniques to create the 'pockets' plastic cups, film canisters, or mold the foam with your hands (make sure to wear gloves!). Ficus Pumilia was recommended, it is hardy and goes crazy. Some of the selligenella sp's work good for this effect too.

I am actually just finishing up a build using GS and gorilla glue on a cork bark mosaic style background with the hydroponic plant baskets, looks pretty good so far. I will take some pics and post for you.
You got me lol. I just had to edit that. LMAO!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I see everyone doing these nice builds and after months of grow in time their plants are doing great and growing all over their great stuff. My question is how???? my last viv I tried with GS the plants would not grow on it and I dont know why. Is it mainly a light problem, is it what u put on the GS the humidity or what. Im thinking about redoing my bowfront I just built because its not doing nearly as good as i hoped and the waterfall was a mistake ( yet again) ill learn this time. but I cant decide if Im going to go GS or Dr Elseys Cat litter. Pros VS Cons?????
why was the waterfall a mistake? i'm using GS as filler for the empty spaces behind my cork fixtures. i'm planning on cutting the GS straight so i can silicone with ease to my tank

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would help to see some pictures to get an idea of your technique, types of plants, substrate, humidity levels, etc. With the exception of Brom's I don't actually attach many plants to the GS backing. I cover hydroponic plant holders with GS if I want plants along a wall or something. After 6 mos’ it appears as if plants are coming out of the walls and depending of the plant everywhere else as well. Some plants do very well in a humid environment while others need adequate venting and a drying out period.
Hope this helps
Brian

okay thanks! it may have been my light the reason why it wasnt doing much on the GS

What he said lol. It really depends on the plants your using. If you are new to this and dont want to spend to much on a plant that climbs go with creeping fig. A lot of ppl dont like it because it doesnt die and it has to be trimmed on the regular. However you can get a nice backwall going.
yeah i may try ficus pumila as well i have it in one of a few of my vivs and its going nuts, i like it.

what about the cardboard material baskets to put into the GS instead of the plastic net baskets? would they be okay? cause thats what i have. gorilla glue is expensive ill def be using silicon if I decide to go this way on my redo. I may try placing some cork into the background.

why was the waterfall a mistake? i'm using GS as filler for the empty spaces behind my cork fixtures. i'm planning on cutting the GS straight so i can silicone with ease to my tank
The waterfall in the first tank was a mistake becuase the viv was too small first off it was a 12x12x18 and i didnt make a way to get into the pump or i did but it was just to small.

The mistake on the redo tank was trying to control water is alot harder then it looks and isnt doing what i want it to and i just went with it instead of trying to fix it because i had done planted it etc. So i think from here on out ill never do a water feature.

@ David, a con with the kitty litter is, I see alot of ppl have chuncks fall off. Pros of GS its strong and tough.
I have clay backgrounds in all of my vivs and the only down fall is once u mist it alot the clay becomes really soft not so much falling off but like mush. or the other extreme it dries out to easily then falls off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts