Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Tomarrow I will be purchasing a few cans of great stuff and was wondering,

1. Is great stuff all its cracked up to be?
2. Is it easy to use?
3. Can it be used for desert cages too?

thank you for any and all help,
shane

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have had great success with gs. I personally like the pond and stone kind. Its black and comes in a larger size can. It is a couple dollars more then the regular gs. I used it in a custom 55 gallon turtle tank I had, worked great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had great success with gs. I personally like the pond and stone kind. Its black and comes in a larger size can. It is a couple dollars more then the regular gs. I used it in a custom 55 gallon turtle tank I had, worked great.
thanks for the info! I really appriciate it! one question... can you use it on the bottom of the cage to? like to make a pond?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I personally have not used it that way. Maybe someone else will chime in on that issue. On the gs pond foam it says it is fish safe so it may work. You will most likely need to seal it with silicone though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally have not used it that way. Maybe someone else will chime in on that issue. On the gs pond foam it says it is fish safe so it may work. You will most likely need to seal it with silicone though.
i geuss ill learn from trial and outcome then. If its fish safe then I dont see why it would be a problem. thanks again

-shane

·
Registered
680 Posts
Also if you will be using great stuff I have had a few ( very few keep in mind) where after a few months it falls off of the back of the tank. So I thought of a little trick that seems to fix the problem, After your great stuff has cured long enough to make a pretty solid skin but is still wet under the skin, place a heavy weight on top of it and poke some holes in the skin in random locations so some of the air bubbles can escape. This allows for the great stuff to have more contact with the actual back panel of glass and more surface area of adhesion. I have a few tanks set up like this and they have been running for 7 yrs now no problems.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
let me say just one thing... i am not one that generally reads the directions carefully for any product. i simply go for it and figure it out (its more fun that way) however, and i cannot stress this enough, WEAR GLOVES!!!!! when working with any expanding foam. it absolutely does NOT come off of skin and the best way i have found to remove it after the fact is actually scraping the skin off with a very sharp razor blade. (not safe for obvious reasons) so make sure you have gloves!

james

·
Registered
351 Posts
make sure to work in thin layers and spray it down with water. I like to start off by spraying a thin bead in the seams and corners then once that is completely cured to keep working. (curing takes a day or so)

I do put silicone down on the glass before I start by the way. It helps in the long run.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have used great stuff to make a small pond on the bottom before and it held up well.

It sno joke about the gloves!!! And long sleeves!!! As a hairy Scottish guy, getting that stuff off of my arms was no fun! well no fun for me, my 9 year old thought it was very funny!

·
Registered
901 Posts
I haven't been wearing gloves and I've made 6 vivs to date lol.
Guess i"m lucky *knocks on wood*.

But the comment Jack made.
Spray it down with water? I've never heard of this method, what does it do differently for the GS?

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you spray a light mist of water over it after a slight skin forms it helps cure it faster. It even mentions this method on the can. I can attest to this method, my first experience with great stuff I was around 7 yrs old and I was playing with it because I thought it was "fluffy" and "neat" when I tried to wash it off of my hands which I had a massive amount of it on me, it became solid almost instantly. I ended up having to peel most of the skin off of my hands to remove it. Never making that mistake again!:D

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Here's some advice for ya.

Great Stuff is in a highly compressed container. If you screw on the top and it doesn't come out do not punture the seal with a screwdriver! You will just have made a GS rocket and a huge ____ing mess.

When messing with GS, go outside away from the house, wear old clothes and gloves. :D
-Matt

·
Registered
553 Posts
Also to note... my first experience with great stuff .. I actually bought the large can for a 10 gal vert I was going to create.. I put the whole can in the bottom (which would be the back) of this vivarium and let it stand for 2 days BUT the back of the glass shattered.. I just simply placed foam and black electrical tape all over the back and it is still useful to this day.. just don't layer it too thick as it heats up before it cools.. at least that's what I was told it does... Peter

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Also to note... my first experience with great stuff .. I actually bought the large can for a 10 gal vert I was going to create.. I put the whole can in the bottom (which would be the back) of this vivarium and let it stand for 2 days BUT the back of the glass shattered.. I just simply placed foam and black electrical tape all over the back and it is still useful to this day.. just don't layer it too thick as it heats up before it cools.. at least that's what I was told it does... Peter
Great stuff DOES heat up as it reacts, but I'm willing to bet that it was just the expansion pressure that caused the back to shatter. GS needs a lot of room to expand and if you put the whole can in and set it on it's back to cure, I'm sure it just expanded through the back because the back will cure slower than the front.

-Matt

·
Registered
51 Posts
I cannot over emphasize this...
Work slowly and in layers..do not rush this stage!

another thing-If building a hill or waterfall..Its better to build some sort of support and spray over that then try to mass it all up with GS.

GS is useful, it just has a mind of its own it seems.:)

Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts