Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for starting a new topic, I didn't think anyone would read anything on the old post. BP's internet is acting up, so if I do anything to tick anyone off let it be known that it's not him! :wink: ~ Sara

I've read about a few people making backgrounds using "great stuff" and silicone and i was wondering if i could apply the foam to the glass or if it would be better putting it on the corkboard? thanks for the help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
greatstuff

you can just apply it straight onto the glass. there was a thread recently though where the surface of the greatstuff dried more rapidly than the centre though and the glass cracked but i dont think this happens very often.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok im planning on having a water fall of some type, im not sure if i want it running of a cliff or if i want it to sorta barely fall of some rocks. Would splattering from the waterfall thats high in the tank stress the frogs and would it harm the substrate and plants?

and can someone tell me of a good substrate that wont decompose to fast and will be good for broms and mosses. I have coco bedding in mine now, the plants are doing good but i was wondering if anyone knew of anythign better. what about the hydroponic things ive read about, should i use them?

sorry for the questions... this is my first actual display tank. my other 2 are grow out/breeding set-ups.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
There is some good info here on substrate:
http://www.doylesdartden.com/housing.htm

I like to use geolite rather than gravel, it is much lighter.

As for the greatstuff, it works well, but be careful with a waterfall running over it. Also like stated it can dry on the outside but not the inside. It is a good idea to do layers or use styrofoam to make the larger sections then fill it in with great stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
waterfall from greatstuff

you should cover the great stuff with mortar first. ideally vivarium mortar from terra5 but you can make your own. mix in lots of sand and grit and gravel to make it look more natural

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was planning on doing one layer on the back and have a cliff thatll have a little substrate and a plant in it, do you think thatll be to heavy? If it is i was thinking about getting a piece of driftwood and having it support it or something. Does it matter if the substrate touches it or the lower backing touches the water (like will it poison the water or ground)?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
foam and mortar

if you visit my site, type Foam in the search tool you see an idea of where i'm headed here.
great stuff is good, for dry landscapes but if water does, and it will, come in contact, the Great Stuff will break down, and thus harm the animals, and of course, ruin your display.
there is a black expanding foam that works in water, that is what it was designed for, and it's safe. won't break down, weaken and even dries black which is cool.
i cover mine with silicone or vivarium mortar or both. if just covering with silicone, i'll apply some substrate or rocks. i do this also with the vivarium mortar as well as mosses.

as for growing moss, you want a lower pH, Bromes you want drainage. i use a mix of sand, soil, and milled peat moss and at times, add leaf mold.

i did this tank a while back just to use a peice of wood that i could use:
http://www.terra5designs.com/gallery/photos/gallery_one.html
hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts