Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havent seen this covered anywhere and hoping to share a little GS BG trick i learned. i have ALWAYS hated having to sand the GS to keep the smooth curves but rough it up enough to have silicone stick so i usually carved it with a knife, BUT!!! there is an alternative:eek: use wire brushes like these

did a simple BG lay out, and attacked it with the brushes and felt the areas for smooth spots that needed more brushing. the 40B took about 10 min:D.

then i applied a silicone and BG material here are some other tanks done using a similar method. only one coat of silicone was needed! no touch ups were required:cool:

after you do a few tanks this is what your brush looks like hahahah:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Just started a new viv today...and I have to try it..much easier than the alternatives...at what point in the "cure" did you use this method??????

·
Registered
239 Posts
not to make that big of a deal about it, but those broken off metal bristles ended up someplace. I might be a at least a lil concerned about ending up w/ sharp metal bristles sticking up through the finished background and/or leaving metal fragments inside to rust/oxidize.

Likely in the end it's prolly not that much of a concern, but something I'd think about and run a few extra vacuum cleanup passes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.

Not something I would worry much about, but I know I would keep an eye out for them and be sure to go over with a strong vac more than once.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not to make that big of a deal about it, but those broken off metal bristles ended up someplace. I might be a at least a lil concerned about ending up w/ sharp metal bristles sticking up through the finished background and/or leaving metal fragments inside to rust/oxidize.

Likely in the end it's prolly not that much of a concern, but something I'd think about and run a few extra vacuum cleanup passes.
they dont stick into the back ground they fall to the bottom and are easily wiped out. trust me i thought of that one!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts