Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm thinking of using Great Stuff to form a background for my 29 gal. I was told that the stuff expands to 4-5" in overall thickness. That seems like a lot of foam for small cracks. If this is true, I don't really want to use up almost half of the entire tank with foam. Also, I was told the can can only be used once, because the foam in the tube and nozzle will clog it, rendering it unusable. It doesn't really make sense because the can is designed for small cracks. There's no way you could use the entire can at once for small cracks (unless you have a LOT of them). It also seems like a waste to use the can for one or two small jobs and then just throw it away because you can't use the rest of it. So, I just wanted to know about your experiences with this stuff. Does it really take up that much space? And are you limited to using one big can for just one time? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Bry

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
If you're planning on using it behind cork bark, don't worry too much about it filling you're tank. I have heard of tanks cracking from too much foam though...but never had it happen to me.
It seems like it's hit or miss being able to use the can more than once. If you don't want to waste, it usually if you use the whole can within a couple of days, it'll still be good...after a month you can usually forget it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bry, I use the regular (red can) great stuff a lot. a 1/4" inch bead will expand to about 3/4". Treat it like you would if you were applying regular caulk, if you apply even pressure and keep the applicator tip moving, you get a even (relatively) and consistent flow , if you stop and start you are going to get a lot of material in one place. I have never had a problem with the great stuff cans gumming up, and have used them for multiple applications over long periods of time. Just cut the straw into 3 pieces, use one and store the can upright. Leave the used straw on it. When you want to use it again, put on a new straw. I’ve never had a can gum up and I have put in many (100?) windows and built ½ a dozen tanks with this method. The black waterproof foam is a completely different story!
(see my post in the parts threads)
Hope this helps.
Ed

·
Registered
545 Posts
Be careful though, I used great foam in my 29 gallon and it was cool outside when it was drying. The foam caved in on the sides, although the back was fine. So there are gamps next to the sides of my aquarium and it's quite irritating :/.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i was able to find a way all around this mess. so what i do i take of the straw and let it dry on the side in the mean time i get a tooth pick and stick it inside the Can as much as possible and the foam will clear. the next day when the straw dry's i get a wire hanger and cut it and stick one end of it inside and it all comes out with some force and im able to use the Can and the straw till it wastes.

G

·
I am currently making my first vivarium using that stuff. it works nice but i suggest u have a thick back wall my 1/16" acrylic bowed in the back but it doesn't effect the over all product just afraid it may crack one day. It is titias to cover all of it with sillicone and then what ever u use (i'm using bed-a-beast) I just hope that the high humidity and the frogs crawling all over it won't take it all off. We shall see.

-Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts