Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently heard Great-Stuff described as "candy for termites". Something about it containing cellulose. Anyone heard or experienced this? I can't help wondering if it has anything harmful in it that could work its way up the food chain into our frogs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was second hand or even third had information. Could easily have been another type of foam that was really the issue. As far as the cellulose, I think I might have suggested that myself as a possible culprit, and got a "yah, I think that's it". I had always assumed it was PU based, but can imagine cellulose, etc.. being added as a filler. Guess not. Anyway, its nice to see the MSDS for it. I might be inclined to use it only sparingly now.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I had a client who used styrofoam for some misguided purpose, details unimportant. Also sand and did not clean env. Fed live crickets adults. Crickets ate the 'flavored' styrofoam which was then discerned in beardeds stool per sieve wash which stool was runny and had strange character as animal lost flourish.

Bearded converted to thawed crix and dubia but some people are difficult to teach heat regulation and equipments use to. Flip on flip off complacency over a lifetime.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Termites like to make their galleries in both open and closed cell foam. I don't think they eat it but they sure tunnel through it. Google "foam board in contact with soil termites."

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I wouldnt count on it not being in the gut tract of the termites. I could not find it in the article that there is evidence of them chewing and not ingesting, as that is what they do to tunnel instinctively. But i am certain that in the context of termite destruction whether they eat it isnt a targeted priority of the article writers and readers.

but if the termites are to be eaten by small fauna i wouldnt think such a novel substance would be a healthy non issue. Similar by proxy ingestion was an issue with a much larger animal.

·
Registered
836 Posts
All this makes me feel great about always encapsulating my foam in something harder. Drylok at a bare minimum, but usually epoxy. Sheesh. Bugs and their mouthparts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts