Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Safe? In my opinion, yes.

I think it's foolish to think that even when you cover it with silicone and peat that you are completely sealing the foam from the water column of the tank, if that's what you're thinking. Polyurethane based products (greatstuff, types of gorilla glue) actually catalyze more quickly in the presence of water. As with anything, it can breakdown over time. A long time, likely longer than the length of time the viv will be set up for.

The one thing I'm not 100% sure about is the coloring agent they used to make it black. I assume it's non-toxic because it's safely used in ponds that have fish, amphibians and plants.

I would feel comfortable using it. You might not get very good plant growth because of how GS tends to form that glossy outer shell that most people carve away, but I have no experience with that.

PS make sure it's hella cured.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've poured coco-fiber directly on the pond GS right after foaming and am satisfied with the result.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I don't think it looks bad plain. If you have plants that will root to it (ficus for example), it won't be seen anyways.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
You should be good to go...I think they use activated charcoal to color it black.....I am not 100% sure on that but, that is what I was told at a pond shop....Could have been a ploy to sell the $16 cans of it though....

·
Registered
448 Posts
LOL activated carbon to make it black?!!!

Please excuse me...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok...

Now whomever told you that is 100% wrong and very likely KNEW they were wrong. Yes a ploy it was. $16 is a total rip off.

The canned black polyurethane foam is only a slightly more viscous mix resulting in a more sticky/dense material than normal GS and they use a special urethane dye that reacts at the chemical level into the PUR foam polymer chain. It will not leach out. If it does, its because they mixed too much at the factory into the foam and it interfered with the cure and what you are seeing is what did not react. Toss it all, clean it up, and use different can.

Same dye I use to make the base color in my urethane resin rocks. Not toxic.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Yea the BS alarm went off as well, so I went to Menards and got the $8 GS P&R.....I have read it(infused with carbon) as well on a few aquatics sites as well.....But could never find proof on the MSDS or anywhere else. So there must be some that have bought in to it for that purpose....

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Too bad I'm not in canada....
If you have a Menards check there that is the only place I can get it and it is located next to the rest of the foam sealers....It's like $8-$9 there.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Its actually pretty cool if you want to make some sort of rock scape with it or a type of cave which I did... But as the whole background, id try to maybe even pin some green moss to it so you can set up vines or broms onto it

·
Banned
579 Posts
Id go to a hobby lobby and buy some acrylic paints and get a little crative with that background and thatd be another way for you to avoid silicone and peat.... Diesent hurt to be crative and experiment. Goid luck post pics!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts