Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got up early this morning so I could get the best selection of frogs before the "hoard" arrived in tampa. But even though I was early there were still lots of people waiting at the gate to get in. when they opened the door I felt like part of a stampede. So I found the frog tables and grabbed a pair of Azures from Bill Schwinn. The Male is from 09' and the female was oow late last year or early 11'. I was happy to be able to get an actual pair. This will be my first pair as well as my first Tincs. I can see why everyone likes them. Active, fat, and they look at you when you walk by. I have a habit of buying frogs that are mostly yellow so these are quite striking to me. Enough talk. Pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the male is following her around and petting her back. I believe she is more interested in food and exploring the new home with a view. For terrestrials they are all over this tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also got two Brazilian Yellow Heads. They are soooopercute!...very brightly colored, and "all baby" personality-wise. They think their tongues are longer than they really are, so sometimes they miss flies. I have them in a large sterillite box, maybe 30 gallons-ish in size? I kept it simple so I could make sure the little frogs continue to be happy and healthy. I got these from Bill Schwinn. I kept coming back to the table to ask him a lot of questions. I stood nearby when he was busy so I could listen to other peoples thoughts. This is a good way to get answers to things you weren't even considering.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds like a real good show. Wish I was in Florida . Frogs look good too. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I let them all settle for a couple of hours and then fed. I got some repashy supplements, they smell really good! I have been using rep-cal multi and cal+d for two years or so...But I have heard great things about this other stuff so I thought i would try it. rep-cal has a one year expiration date, repashy is supposed to be ok if you keep it in the fridge for 3 years respectively...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah! I think everyone I have talked to knows him. I just met him for the first time on Saturday. Everyone who saw me walk to my truck was checking out the fat blue frogs. He is a cool dude. And he didn't get impatient with my dumb questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I thought I read that more than once. This is the first time I have seen this behavior...I might be jumping to conclusions.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Yeah! I think everyone I have talked to knows him. I just met him for the first time on Saturday. Everyone who saw me walk to my truck was checking out the fat blue frogs. He is a cool dude. And he didn't get impatient with my dumb questions.

Bill is a breeder who cares about his frogs. IMO, he wouldn't want to send his babies off with someone who had unanswered questions. He answers my dumb questions all the time. :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Usually it's the female that does the following and petting.

Beautiful frogs.
The big one is the one I am calling a male. Its got wide toe pads. I know its not always a reliable way to sex them. The smaller one has much smaller pads. What I am calling petting is normally with just one leg...in this video its both legs.
try this video

MVI_0507.mp4 video by sethshaun - Photobucket

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This tank was supposed to have a while longer to grow out, but i wasn't expecting to come home with anything full grown. (not complaining, I'm very happy) I had some qt sterillite boxes with sphagnum and magnolia leaves set up for some froglets.

In the 75gallon azure tank I made some caves for frogs to hide in but neither of them seem interested. The magnolia leaves that i used are too big and it makes things look odd but its what I had available. I need to get some springtails in there and isopods.
The plants are sparse and spaced way apart. My intention for this tank was to have slow plant growth. I want it to look good in 6 months or a year and stay that way. I used the "Pumillo Redart recipe" for both the background and substrate. So far most of my non clay tanks grow like crazy and I don't know if they will crash in a few years. Plus if I wait too long in between trimmings and have to prune a large amount it can look sorta crapy.
thanks for looking

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! You know I just about threw my wallet at you when you showed me that pair :) I wish I had lots of cash, I would have bought several of each kind.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts