Here is my new pair of Gray Treefrogs!

JBear

Attachments

Reactions: tclipse

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The male has been calling on and off! It is very nice! More pics to come!

JBear

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Nice one of my favs.....My pair almost bred this spring but I missed the timing.....Love the call from the male. Congrats on your new frogs.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where did you get them? I live in Michigan and I heard there were some wild ones, but where to look?
These guys are found high in trees generally close to water. During windy/rainy weather these frogs may be seen much closer to the ground. Your best bet may be to wait until the breeding season and stake out a pond that is bordered/surrounded by woods.

I got these 2 from JohnC (John Clare). He got them from Texas originally, but this species can be found from Texas all the way to MN, etc.

Best of luck!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any idea if they're versicolor or chrysoscelis? Got a few of these coming out of the water now myself, great frogs
John told me they were H. versicolor. Did you breed them or collect eggs/tads?

JBear

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Justin's are 100% Hyla versicolor. I collected them in East Texas outside the range of H. chrysoscelis, and the male's call is that of H. versicolor. I've heard both species calling enough to be able to tell the difference most of the time (it's a real challenge).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Where did you get them? I live in Michigan and I heard there were some wild ones, but where to look?
In Illinois they are easy to find in the spring/early summer. On rainy nights, from early May through June, they breed in pools. Their call is extremely loud. Our neighbor's pool last year had ones breeding in it, and you could hear them inside our house, with all the windows closed! Here's a pic I took of one last May at our house.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I used to live on Kaw Lake in Northern Oklahoma, I had one of these living on my porch for a couple of Years...... i ended up capturing him and keeping in a viv. for couple of years....... got hard up and released him.... he went back to his spot on porch, hiding amongst my wifes house plants... cool lil frog...
I have been working on a viv for dart frogs but have been thinking about getting a pair of these instead.. I really liked him except for the fact he was like my step kids up all nite and slept all day...
Larry

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Northern Minnesota. We have a lot of gray treefrogs. They call a lot in the summer from the trees around my house but don't see them often. I have an enclosed deer stand in my woods with a door taht does not fir snugly. When it rains gray treefrogs often are found on the inside of the door.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts