Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, can someone tell me if grape wood is good to use in vivariums; there is a local pet store that has some nice pieces that I want to install. If so what and if should I do anything to the wood prior to putting in my vivarium and yes there are frogs in the viarium I want to put the piece in.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If I am not mistaken grape wood doesnt hold up too well in extremely humid environments so it wouldnt be good for a dart frog vivarium.

·
Registered
454 Posts
it has tendency to mold over in closed environments in my experiences, but I have used it successfully in highly wet areas as long as my air flow as been really good (open air setups are the only way I've had it not mold on me)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I am using some in one of my vivs. It did mold at first but over time it has stopped. I don't know if it stopped on its own or if the springtails I added are keeping it in check. From what I understand it's not detrimental to the tank if it breaks down, just make sure it's not supporting anything else or it may fall and hurt your frogs.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I've had a piece in a breeding tank that gets very good airflow (so much so that little water sits on the glass for long). The part that is in the substrate gets mushy and breaks down from being wet all the time, but the rest is still fine. It will develop a black, sooty mold for a number of weeks first, which is sort of a pain.
I have noticed it holds up better when wet than liana, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts