Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:twisted: Hey guys, I just sold an item from my other hobby(rc helis) and now I have $1000 of disposable cash. Help me spend it(or should I do the right thing and save it)! I'm finishing up a 30G tall viv right now set up like the one at Black jungle.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would at least save 1/4-1/2of it. I just spent $1000 on frogs and although I am really excited, I also have that feeling in my gut telling me that I am crazy. The only other time I felt like this was when I bought my car.
Hope this helps.
ADAM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would donate 1/4 to conservation, spend about the same on a nice tank, and then get what you really like for the rest. You can make a really nice tank for $250, so I'd do that first as you decide what species fits you well.
j

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with the other suggestions. Since you are finishing up you 30 high, complete it and let it become established for a bit before you put frogs in there. You did not mention if you have any dart frogs or not, but if these are your first stick with some of the easy to keep varities like tincs, leucs, azureus or auratus. Stay away from "farm raised" or Wild caught for right now too. Get some fly cultures going for a few weeks before you get the frogs, so you are used to the life cycle of the frogs. Then after you have the flys going, tank done and the species picked, get your frogs and keep them in a shoebox (or some smaller container than your 30 gal) for a month. It is much easier to monitor the animals in a small container. After a month, put them in the 30. Put the rest of the money in the bank, and start planning for your next ones.
Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ed. I have had darts before. I had a 20L with 8 E. tricolors. They grew up and called all the time, but that was about 2 years ago. I started a new job that was sending me to classes all the time and I had no time to take care of the frogs. I sold the whole tank to a friend of mine who still has them and they lay eggs all the time.

I do like Moe's idea, but I think I'll be in trouble with the wife if I spend it all on frogs :wink:

·
Registered
313 Posts
with a grand, I'd try and contact that guy on ebay with giant acrylic cannister shaped tank and see if you can talk him down... "always better to ask forgiveness later then permission in the first place", bc if she says no and you do it, your burnt...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts