Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys it’s been a while and not sure what all has changed these days. The board seem a little quieter than it use to. I left right around the buy out of the forum and not sure if everyone is still around that i know is still here (Doug pumillio , Sean the frog whisperer… too many other others that shaped my husbandry). If they left did they end up somewhere else? Hoping someone is willing to fill me in with info. I spent time creeping all the sticky threads and doesn’t seem like much has been added. I getting ready to do a single big build and only a single build (someone please give me the strength to keep it to one build this time around). So let’s get to some fun questions
Any other places I should be looking at for additional info?

Lighting: Seems LEDs are finally going well! I’m checking out the jungle hobbies currently (don’t care about modes) but that light curve looks decent and wattage seems to be high enough to light a 24-30” deep tank which I need.
What’s the heat like off these bad boys?

Substrates: before I left we were playing with pitchers mound clay but I felt that it wasn’t doing the job as well as we all hoped and have thought about pads of active clay so we could have drainage to the false bottom and provide locations that through the travel of the frog would pick up the needed goodness.
Any new techniques for healthy calcium up take and conversion?

New species/subs: wow!!! Looks like Columbia opened its doors!!!! Good job guys glad that happened. The only thing I don’t understand is who brought them in and how to get on a waiting list? I supported Understory at every opportunity but seems the big obligates are no longer an interest to them?
This has been and still might be a touchy subject and would be happy to take a private message from anyone that has the time to catch me up. I understand the ethics so please let’s keep this civil. I’m hear to be friendly and contribute as much as I can like I have in the past. I do not want to sir any pots! Hell in the end if I can just get a pair going and enjoy them like I use to that will make me happy.

enough of that, here’s what’s in the works! A 180-210set up. The top question about lights is what will dictate the hood dimensions.Depending on heat output of the lights I’d like to have them about 6” min off the glass but not sure how much heat that radiate into the tank??? If I need more height than that I’ll have to step down to the 180 ☹.
What do you guys think???? You can see how the hood changes this up a bit and that I will build my mantle height. (Before anyone gets scared. Tuning the gar fire place on for 3 hours had 0*F delta between it and the other side… I also don’t use the fireplace it’s just for looks but also ran it to verify no hazards exist)

Property Rectangle Wood Hearth Interior design

Property Plant Rectangle Interior design Wood

Link for the build

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Welcome back! I wondered a lot of the same questions as you when I came back, here's what I can tell you and hopefully others will chime in as well. It has gotten a lot quieter over the years, reddit and Facebook are to blame. Ed still posts occasionally. I recently discovered that Doug has become a legend among the pet springtail hobby with his clay based springtail culture idea. I don't believe that he has frogs anymore but I could be wrong. Either way he hasn't posted here recently but he was active on here last year. Here is his YouTube channel if you need to contact him: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5vJ3ZOSEMpcGrMy2i_C7hA. Sean's Instagram Login • Instagram links to his Facebook and the frog classified site that he currently sells frogs on, so I know he is still in the hobby at least.

The newest thing that I've noticed is calcium clay mud baths for frogs: Mud baths as well as more ventilation rather than internal air circulation. Edit: I've also noticed plant price increases/less availability. Covid and stimulus checks turned a lot of bored people into "rare plant collectors"

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Any other places I should be looking at for additional info?
Depends, do you want actual husbandry advice or just pretty pictures of overly wet terrariums?

What’s the heat like off these bad boys?
Most LED's give off relatively little heat, especially well made ones. I'm not familiar with the jungle dawn ones.
Any new techniques for healthy calcium up take and conversion?
Turface and calcium bearing clay are in use wire extensively. Calcium bearing clay especially in use for obligate egg feeders.

·
Administrator
5,570 Posts
The JD lights (I've only used the little ~20w ones; got rid of them for dimmable panels) throw some heat, but don't radiate it downward. A fan venting the hood would be a good idea.

If temps are really an issue, a fixture with a remote (and efficient) power supply is best. People are using cheap Chinese aquarium lights with decent results. Shop lights have been mentioned a few times lately (search and order results by date, should find a couple recent threads).

Not sure how long you've been gone, but Repashy is the go-to supplement line.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you all so far for the info! Good to see you still around Okapi! Will be looking into the springtail cultures, back when I was talking to Doug we were testing coal vs the clay, but very interested to research the method that ended up being the most successful.
Mud bath… hmmm I’ll have to go try to find them.
The well vented tanks has always been my favored approach considering the in situ experience I had with their actual habitat and water content. I attribute much of my success in the past to a well set up frog room.

fishingguy, def looking for husbandry with minimal fluff just like good ole days of Ed with a citation on almost every post hahah. Yes def am looking to work with obligates so will search what bearing clay beds and implementation.

Socratic I’m interested in why you kicked the JD’s? Marty at mistking never selected a product that wasn’t perfect and I haven’t heard of LEDs ever being too bright hahaha. Not laughing at your comment rather how far out of the know I am being we have chased lunens at fail for many years in the past. I would love reference to your before and after thoughts of the changing of fixtures as well as what you changed to? Oh and thankfully repashy was around even before me and was the best for all aspects of feeding.

The worst info above is shortage of plants!!!! I need a metric ton of slow growers and I really want to avoid a lot of the stuff I use to pull out like weeds after the first months. Is there a place for plants now? I use to just jump on the wanted adds and say “I have a $100 for who ever what to toss together an amazing box of plants” and never was disappointed. This is devastating information 😢

thanks you all again for the information

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
1. I think plants are more accessible than ever. Offer up or Facebook plant purge groups are the best places to find them. LED’s are cheap and everyone has become a collector so there’s more high humidity plant propagatings and cuttings out there then ever. Unless it’s variegated you should be able to find what you’re looking for cheap/free some times.

2. The obligate keepers have been putting cups filled with calcium clay in their vivs. I slather a rock in it, same effect but I think it looks a little better.

3. I recommend Fluval plant lights for that height. The jungle dawn (not sure if it’s same as jungle hobbies) was far too bright for my 36x36.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've had no problems finding the plants I want. The only problem is the prices have skyrocketed since I left the hobby in 2015. But there are still guys that will put together good plant packages for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lots of great places listed, but a few of those most likely poach plants. Specifically My Home Nature and SiamGreenCulture.
I've heard people say that- but based on what evidence? I made an order from each of those places and everything looked like it was cultured, although I couldn't say for sure.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Harpspile
More on topic, if you don’t mind me asking, why are you selling your satellite pro? Did you replace it with a different fixture or just down grading? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've heard people say that- but based on what evidence? I made an order from each of those places and everything looked like it was cultured, although I couldn't say for sure.
Based on discussions in rare plant FB groups, I believe, but I’d have to dig pretty deep to find them.

Harpspile
More on topic, if you don’t mind me asking, why are you selling your satellite pro? Did you replace it with a different fixture or just down grading? Thanks in advance
Oh I sold that months ago, replaced it with a Finnex Planted+ ALC. I had always wanted color-shifted sunrise and sunset so I could get pretty lighting moods like this (“sunrise” with the Finnex):
Plant Botany Leaf Branch Organism

With the Current you could do custom color for day and night, but not the sunrises and sunsets like I wanted. With the Finnex you can set custom color and level in 3 hour blocks day and night, and it slowly transitions between them. Both lights are nearly equivalent PAR and I think both would be way overpowered for frogs (I don’t keep frogs, and I do keep high light orchids).

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm I’ll have to go look at the Finnex and see what it’s stats look like. Working with the 210gal I’m going to need a little oomph of par to get anything down to the sub. Still really doing my research before pulling the trigger. All of the lighting threads I’ve read have contributions from the same people responding in here so I feel I’m on the right track at least.

what happened with driftwood in the hobby???? Omg I need some big pieces but it’s like empty out there? Looks like the sterilization techniques are the same a week of bleach and a day of 250* F bake.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
holy cow why is colored GE1 Silicone so hard to come by??? looking for the black GE312A and GE412A... Grainger is the only place ive found and they wany $10 a tube, has the world gone absolutely crazy?!?!?!

·
Registered
308 Posts
holy cow why is colored GE1 Silicone so hard to come by??? looking for the black GE312A and GE412A... Grainger is the only place ive found and they wany $10 a tube, has the world gone absolutely crazy?!?!?!
$10 A TUBE? THATS A STEAL I tried to get some last year and it was $20 a tube!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh shit haha guess I’m soo out of the know. I read that they discontinued but I guess I’ll have to jump on it. I’ve been looking at the 100% dap that also seed to find but is about $6 a tube. Considering the situation and my OCD I might splurge for the extra to work with a silicone I know so we’ll.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh shit haha guess I’m soo out of the know. I read that they discontinued but I guess I’ll have to jump on it. I’ve been looking at the 100% dap that also seed to find but is about $6 a tube. Considering the situation and my OCD I might splurge for the extra to work with a silicone I know so we’ll.
honestly at these prices, maybe try going with black aquarium silicone instead.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts