Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm going to be building a huge display tank and I want to show off pumilo in it would a group of five or six pumilo be fine in a 48''Lx20''Wx40''H viv that will have plenty of both floor space and climbing space and be really well planted???

It might house blue Jeans, bastis, or cristos

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
A little more research may be in order before you indulge in a pumilio tank. Pumilio do best in pairs or possibly a trio with 2 females. Multiple males will fight and could eventually cause the death of the subordinate on. Pumilio keepers with enough experience may attempt a group tank eventually, but the vast majority still stick with pairs and trios.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
...and keep in mind that if you follow Doug's suggestion, you will only have a pair or a trio in the beginning as they will eventually begin to breed. If all goes well for you, a couple months down the road you will have a nice display tank with 2 or 3 adults and several little froglets hopping around. On a side note...I sure would like to see a build thread for such a large Pumilio tank so keep us posted please.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That tank is about 166 gallons, which is certainly bigger than the average viv, but still not huge. I think there are some threads or posts on here from Brent Brock discussing his 200+ gallon blue jeans tank, and if I remember correctly, he started with a group and they slowly died off until only a pair was left. Search it for more exact info, but my point is that I still think 2 males would likely be an issue. I'm not sure how well 1 male and 4-5 females would do together, or just all females, but pumilio just seem to be quite territorial by nature for the most part.
Bryan

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
That tank is about 166 gallons, which is certainly bigger than the average viv, but still not huge. I think there are some threads or posts on here from Brent Brock discussing his 200+ gallon blue jeans tank, and if I remember correctly, he started with a group and they slowly died off until only a pair was left. Search it for more exact info, but my point is that I still think 2 males would likely be an issue. I'm not sure how well 1 male and 4-5 females would do together, or just all females, but pumilio just seem to be quite territorial by nature for the most part.
Bryan
Brent Brock is very experienced, too. I don't want to scare you off pumilios. Just to think long and hard about a group.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Yes, and they will probably use the whole thing! Pums lover to explore. My 1.1 Solarte are in a 50 gallon and they can be found anywhere and everywhere in the viv.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I cant wait to get them, will be in the fall though beacause im putting alot of thought and planning into the tank :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts