Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a gift, I was given about a pound each of spirulina and chlorella, and half a pound of stinging nettle powder. Would this make a good tadpole food if I mixed them?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Most commercial tadpole foods are mixes of chlorella and spirulina so it will make a good mix, but I am not sure about the stinging nettle. I have had great success w/ plain spirulina.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I use this blend for my tads, but I am having a hard time with SLS. I still use the same blend of ingredients but I also added cal. powder to the mix.
ADAM

geckguy
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:49 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most commercial tadpole foods are mixes of chlorella and spirulina so it will make a good mix, but I am not sure about the stinging nettle. I have had great success w/ plain spirulina.

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
Stinging Nettle is a good source of Folic Acid (I read this in a plant magazine recently).

I know someone who was thinking about doing a Master's Thesis on preventing (or lowering the numbers of) spindly, or other "birth defects" in frogs, by using Folic Acid.

I know Lars includes Stinging Nettle in his "Tadpole Tea".

s

·
Registered
561 Posts
Arklier, I use a mixture of spirulina, chlorella, stinging nettle and bee pollen (2:2:1:1) Both the stinging nettle and the bee pollen have B vitamins. In general I have very good results with this mix and think that you would do well with just spirulina, chlorella, and stinging nettle.

Scott, I have a pair of leucs that have been producing tads that have a high incidence (80% in the control group) of SLS. I have been raising the last couple clutches by supplementing with B-complex vitamins on a weekly basis (400 mcg of folic acid). Group A should get front legs any day now and B & C groups are developing well. I have 7 eggs that should hatch in the next couple days and will supplement them with folic acid only. I will also do that with the next 2 clutches. While this study has not been performed under a laboratory setting, I was very careful to keep all contributing factors consistent i.e. uniform ingredients in tadpole tea, UVB exposure for tads, food sources for tads and parents, vitamin and mineral supplementation for parents, etc. If your friend is interested, I would be happy to share any information that I gather with them.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts