Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a cricket supplier online that has a good price on crickets from just hatched up to one week old. Most of the crickets sold in pets stores around here that are called pinheads aren't pinheads. Yes, I know it's more economical to grow your own, but for now I just want to vary the diet of my darts for a couple of feedings every now and then. I'm looking to buy 2,000-3,000. If anyone can make suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
hi there

i use LLL Reptile to order crickets. they have the cheapest price i have found so far and the price includes overnight shipping to your door. they have excellent customer service too. ~Lauren

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Thanks for all the pinhead sources. I went with Amanda's source because I ordered 3000 for $39 total shipping included! Not bad. I think I want to do this on a monthly basis to help with my breeding efforts (good protein) and for variety.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Richard,

I ask because I bought some moss for my adult Brazilian Yellowheads that must have had cricket eggs!?!? The next thing I know the tank was infested with chirping crickets that went on and on through the night. I finally brokedown and re-did the tank getting rid of all the plants and everything. There were a ton of pretty large crickets in there. I'm sure the brazilian yellowheads kept their population from getting out of hand by eating most of the young. I assume that thumbnails can handle pinheads?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Oh yeah! I breed crickets to feed my frogs. I actually had some hatch today, they are SO SMALL. It takes a while for them to get to adult size and the frogs have about a week to eat them before they get too big for thumbs. My azureus will eat them even up to what seems like a couple weeks.

It is very noisey and smelly breeding crickets. I don't know how much longer I will continue.

-Richard

·
Registered
116 Posts
hey david

i hate you had to redo your tank! you needed a gecko or anole to stick in the tank for a few days (after removing the frogs of course) to curb that adult cricket population. similar to adding cats to a barn for mice. try that if you have problems in the future rather than disposing of your setup. its worth a chance. be sure if you do that the reptile is free of parasites beforehand. the adult crickets can also harm your frogs if left unchecked but im sure you know that. adult crickets used to chew the leaves off some of the plastic plants i had in a tank a few years ago. it is amazing what they can do. ~L

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I make my cultures as normal, w/out excelsior, then I scoop them out using a spoon. I use this method for my turkish gliders, they produce so many flies that the top 1/2" is all larvae, with very little medium. I make about 1 a week and it is enough for all my frogs.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I use the same amount of medium normally, I was saying that there is so much larvae in the top 1/2" that there is barely any medium mixed in with the larvae. I put them on water caps from 1 gallon bottles. I have recently started using a little bit of medium, because no matter what I do I can't keep the larvae I don't feed from pupating in the medium, and dying. Which then makes the culture worthless, so it is a good idea to use alittle bit of medium so you don't waste any medium.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts