Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, know any good online orchid vendors? I saw this one called Blue Pagoda orchids that sold plants that weren't full sized, something that I desire so I can build a collection. I'm having some difficulty finding hobbyist flasks as well, but I'd rather buy already potted plants. What are good reputational places?

And, specifically to you, Jhupp, know of any vendors that supply true species? I treat the orchid hobby virtually like the CP hobby. I like to have my unique species, morphs, subspecies, etc., plus hybrids and cultivars. I need equal amounts of both to be satisfied. I think the only true species I got is that Maximallaria tenufolia. And BTW, it's growing roots now. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good to hear on the Max. Tropiflora does both species and hybrids. Fender's Flora does most of their stuff online. Goodwin Orchids is great for Vandaceous stuff, plus they keep a few species things. Shoot them off an e-mail and they will help you out. I haven't done much in the way of internet orchid buying. So these are places that I have done face to face business with in the past, which I know have an online outfit. And they're all great pepole to deal with (well the Fender's folks are kind of snobby, but I have come to expect that from them).

You can also try Fred Keefer at [email protected]. I have met him a couple of times and he always seems to have nice stuff, with quite a few odd ball species things. Its a back yard greenhouse, but what I have seen are all top notch plants.

Save the flask for later on in the hobby. I have had little experince with them, but what I have had was a pain. Infact just the other day I lost the last seedling from a flask of plants that I really needed and can't replace.

I might suggest e-bay another good source of plants and flask. Sometimes there is nice stuff cheap.

G

·
I got 3 pleurothallid orchids from Jon Werner and they are doing great. I just ordered 3 more from him.I think I have caught the"Orchid Fever" now too :lol:
Mark W.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok

alright, I've give these places a shot, when I get more money again. :lol: I'm almost done with my frog tank. Right now, I've been buying orchids at 50%-75% off from several places (including at my work). The woman who works at the Floral department of the grocery store I work at marks them down periodically, and I'm first in line to get them. :lol: Plus, I notice that sometimes you can buy orchids not in bloom at my local nursery at Christmas (we're talking large catleyas and oncidiums) for a measily $5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts