Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as an afterthougt from looking at many tanks I was wondering if the leaves on the bromalid I bought are wrong for a dart frog. I am not sure if they are too thin to let the frog climb in and make a little hiding spot. It is on the far left of my tank...

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I don't know if its as much a matter of the bromeliad being wrong for the frogs, as much as it is wrong for the tank. That brom looks like a Tillandsia (can't tell by pic) or at least one that prefers to be mounted, not planted. I'd worry about your brom rotting out.

I'd generally beware of planting most broms offered in the hobby, they tend to be epiphytic not terrestrial and tend to rot. Terrestrial broms tend to be large so there aren't many of them around for frog tanks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
that is definitely a tillandsia, and is usually mislabeled at the stores. It does prefer to be planted over mounted, but don't keep the roots moist, it needs to be able to dry out instead of stay soggy. It definitely won't work for darts to hide in, much too small. Your best bet would be to order some off of customecos, peaceofthetropics (has a great deal right now, 6 for $20), or tropiflora.com. GOod luck

Ed

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I had a tillandsia abdita (sp) in my first PDF tank that was a little smaller than that, and the imitators actually prefered to sit in it, rather than the neo. peppers and ampallucia.
That is, until the creeping fig choked it out!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
What you have is a tillandsia cyanea. It does better as an epiphyte and will most likely rot in the position you have it now. I would try tropiflora or bromeliads R' us. Ask them for some small (less than 6 inches) terrestrial guzmania's or vrisea's.

Best,

Justin

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you're wanting a brom that's pretty resistant to rotting and does ok with being planted, then I'd go with a Neo. compacta. They can grow to a pretty decent size, so the size of your tank could be a factor to consider. Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I've had that in the tank now for almost two months and I have not noticed it rotting, but I think I'll just have to mount it on the back piece of wood and go spend more money on another brom. :?

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
What PDFs are you putting in there? In all honestly, the only frogs that use them for anything other than roosting (which they would do in leaf litter and other plants as well) are thumbs and eggfeeders.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no idea what frogs are gunna go in there. I am waiting untill around April to drive up to the Black Jungle store and get some. I really would like to get tinc. citronella but I am open to whatever they have in stock at the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts