Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always loved dart frogs, but I really fell for them when I started seeing how cool some of these vivs can be. So I've finally decided to build a vivarium of my own and once it's established and growing well I'll add a group of leucs or vents. (I am a first-time dart owner, will vents be out of the question? I understand that leucs may be the safer route, but I've gotten the impression that vents could make a good first frog for a discerning and caring keeper. If I'm wrong about this please do set me straight!)

At the moment I am stuck between using an acrylic tank or a glass one. they both seem to have their advantages. Acrylic is lighter, can look very nice, and shouldn't be as much of a problem when drilling drainage holes in the bottom. Glass is more readily available, but drilling and making a new glass top will be a bit of a pain. I'm planning on making a viv with a false bottom, a small pond area in one corner and a little stream leading to it. Do I need a drainage hole in this type of setup? and with a cage of this sort what would people recommend?

I also understand that silicone won't stick on acrylic, will great stuff work? What type of water pumps would work best?

and one last question that I hope I can explain clearly. with a false bottom and a pond-type thing in one corner, I'll want the water to flow between the reservoir that is hidden underneath the substrate and the open pond. How do I get this to work? will it just naturally flow through the gravel? I'm afraid that it'll either become too dense for the water to flow through causing flooding, or it'll be too loose and cause landslide problems.

I hope everyone followed that. And thanks for all the information that everyone on this board has already provided me with. I'm very excited!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would say no to the vents just yet. They are hardy frogs, but until you get used to culturing FF's you might want to stay with the bigger frogs(leucs, auratus, tincs, etc). That seems to be the recommendation around here mainly, I think, because the larger ones will eat larger foods, ie. like small crickets in case you don't get the hang of culturing right away.

Setting up a first tank, I would go with what you can get ahold of... glass or acrylic. It's really preference, IMO. Some people set up several tanks on one rack where weight may be an issue and might choose acrylic. Some have only a couple tanks or several 10G's where glass may be more economical.

If you want a nice acrylic tank, wheck out Paul's (http://www.firstclassaquatics.com) posts. He makes some NICE acrylic cubes. You can search around here in the galleries to get TONS of ideas on creating your own "environment".

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont worry about water getting through the rock. it will do it. the water level will stay the same throughout the gravel. if you are worried about the landslide and keeping your pond a constant size, try a barrier. a piece of shaply wood would do nicely (ghost wood or african root will hold up in the water also), or i use stacked slate every now and again. the water passed through it easily and you can build your 'retaining wall' whatever height you need. ive got some pics i could email of some systems using these methods if youd like me to. i have also just used the slight taper down into the water. this works well, but if you have large active frogs, you may need to restack every now and again.

im pretty new to this forum, but i saw tons of nice pics in the gallery, you can prolly find plenty of ideas there (as stated by jared)

landon

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also understand that silicone won't stick on acrylic, will great stuff work? What type of water pumps would work best?
Is this true? cuz' if it is i m up a creek.

I am using a pump for an out side water fountain. it cost 29bucks but it can make water trazel some 4feet verically in a tube. The brand is Beckett.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GodJockey said:
Is this true? cuz' if it is i m up a creek.
silicone will not bond to acrylic. to bond acrylic to acylic, you need a weldon product i believe called weld-on #9, but dont quote me on this. you should be able to get it at true-value or a glass shop that deals in acryilic. there is no product to bon acrylic to glass. the way have had sucess is by using a lot of silicone. it will hold a piece in place if the pressure is fairly even on both sides (ie. water and/or land on both sides).

landon

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how about some good ol' JB weld? I bet its toxic tho :(. who knows we'll see what happends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts