Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my name is Adam. I got 2 male M. aurantiaca back in August from a friend. They are doing great!

As far as my interest goes, I have a bunch of Day Geckos (Phelsuma) and have the 2 Mantellas, plus will be getting some thumbnails in the near future. Love the small frogs!

001 by daggekko, on Flickr

001 by daggekko, on Flickr

012 by daggekko, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
A recommendation: the mantellas would appreciate a substrate and leaf litter. The water feature is a good idea, but the frogs prefer to burrow in loose substrate to lay their eggs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A recommendation: the mantellas would appreciate a substrate and leaf litter. The water feature is a good idea, but the frogs prefer to burrow in loose substrate to lay their eggs
There is soil in the back half of the tank. Both are boys anyhow, so eggs aren't something I am worried about at the moment. As far as hiding goes, there are a couple big fake plant clumps on the ground they hide in as well as a couple bromeliads they use AND underneath the log where it touches the ground. So no real worries, they can hide!

nice Mantellas!
Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow that is amazing! Thanks for putting my tank to shame:D How many do you have in that tank?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Wow that is amazing! Thanks for putting my tank to shame:D How many do you have in that tank?
There are 4 F1 in the tank. I did not post to put your tank to shame, but to help you see what Doug (Rain_Frog) is talking about. He is a great resource on mantellas.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My photos at the start of this thread don't show the tank off well. As it is not as nice as yours is, there is substrate in the back half of the tank. And I said, plenty of places to hide. I do really like your tank though and will get around to redoing a different(or maybe 2) tank(s) and make some big improvements.

Do you know what genders your F1's are?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you tell me more about your setup? It appears(I'm doing a little assuming) that you have a pond area in the middle(because I see duckweed). Is this correct? What type of soil do you use? How do you do your water changes?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
15 gallon tank with the rim removed. The tank has a clay background that is planted. I use ABG mix for substrate. It does have a pool in the center that is covered with duckweed and is surrounded by java moss that is also growing on the log. It have a layer of leaf litter that also know has duckweed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I have no experience in frogs whatsoever and I would love to try miniature darts (thumbnail darts) or mantella...is the golden mantella a good starter frog? lol They are so cute. Well...golden and the bronze ones too...both are so nice.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The goldens are fairly easy to care for, they are just more sensitive to temperature. They really shouldn't be allowed to get much higher than 76 degrees or so, and in wild caught animals, that may be too high.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts