Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how reliable this is?

https://www.rainforesttrust.org/projects/urgent-appeals/mangabe/

I am all for donating to a good cause but I was curious if anyone can supply me with some questions I have?

A map is shown where the protected site is… is this truly area where aurantiaca are found?

It also states that almost half of all the spawning pools will be protected by this initiative. Is that possible? If I were to donate do experts on here think those 5 areas of protected land would even make a difference to the population?

Do you believe this will have a positive or negative effect on the mantella in captivity? I know aurantiaca are the most common mantella in captivity but if enforcement cracks down on these pools, will they dwindle in private collections? How much do private keepers still rely on these wild caught specimens?

Hope to hear from someone soon!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sorry to get to this late, but yes this is a real project. Mangabe (the proposed protected area in the link above) is home to the southern lineage of Mantella aurantiaca, which is also mostly where wild-caught stock is still collected for the trade.

Mitsinjo (thanks for mentioning us too!) works at Torotorofotsy, north of Mangabe, where the other populations of Mantella aurantiaca are. We actually trained our technicians in aurantiaca survey protocol at Mangabe with Madagasikara Voakajy, the NGO working at the hopefully new protected area (should they be able to raise enough funds in time).

So, definitely worth donating some frog sales to, if possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts