Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing the web and came across a picture and short info on golden auratus. I have never seen one or even once heard mentioned of these. I was wondering if anyone has worked with these or has any information on them.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
they are around, but there arent many. if i remember correctly sean had offered a pair a few years back (here on db) for about $1K. there are people working on getting them established a little more but i wouldnt cross your fingers for average auratus priced frogs ;)

james

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! 1k wowzers my wife would kill me. They are very beautiful frogs though. So why are they so expensive are they hard to breed? rare?

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
They aren't hard to breed.. basically just like all other auratus. They weren't in the US until recently.

It is possible that population is how auratus was named. Auratus is derived from the latin for gold.

Ed

·
Registered
976 Posts
they are around, but there arent many. if i remember correctly sean had offered a pair a few years back (here on db) for about $1K. there are people working on getting them established a little more but i wouldnt cross your fingers for average auratus priced frogs ;)

james
he is selling them for 250.00 each. that isn't too bad.

·
Registered
158 Posts
he is selling them for 250.00 each. that isn't too bad.
WOW... that is expensive... I had some in early 90's and only paid $8 each. They were WC from wholesaler. Also had 1/2 dozen Cowani. Both species were very bold frogs after few weeks of acclimation. I kept mine as mixed colony in a 55 viv w bark, broms etc... not as high tech as vivs today but worked good. That was back in college days so I didnt have good stability in living arrangements, anyway went home for thx giving, roommate was left to care for my frogs (gave instructions).... he decided a few day visit to parents wouldn't be issue for frogs - thinking they would hibernate (idiot)... he turned off the heat and temp got into low 50's (by my guestimate) and all but 2 frogs died. Still get mad thinking about.

I had orig setup the tank for Aurautus, blue jeans pums or Histronicus but waited and waited and waited....(darts were hard to get back then) and these came up...had never heard of them. Wholesaler talked me into it so bought a dozen. They are small - maybe size of a dime or nickel (depending on frog). Don't ever remember them climbing in roosts or broms. They occasionally scaled the cork wall to chase crickets, but 90% they were ground dwellers (during my viewing time). Fed them fresh hatch mealworms, pinheads, and isopods. Id say the orange were more bold than the painted (cowani). I had 2 in particular that were always out front and wouldnt back off from my hand (prob associated it with food)

Ive only decided to get back into frogs earlier this year so already blew my budge on my darts, but wouldnt mind trying get some Mantellas again. Very nice frogs w good color and personality.

·
Registered
433 Posts
We are talking about a Dendrobates species from Central America. I believe you are thinking of a Mantella sp. from Madagascar .No way Golden Auratus for 8 bucks! I am fairly sure there wasnt any even available till very recently.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We are talking about a Dendrobates species from Central America. I believe you are thinking of a Mantella sp. from Madagascar .No way Golden Auratus for 8 bucks! I am fairly sure there wasnt any even available till very recently.
El Saptio Joyas was probably talking about golden mantellas.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Actually golden auratus came in well over a decade ago. They showed up and seemed to have been separated as they had varied colors from yellow orange and gold. They were not expensive though Im sure it was golden mantella had. I know a few people who had them. Im still seeking out any blood left from those groups.

Its no different than the 25 buck histos that were here. Darts did not gain popularity and go up in price until the late 90's when husbandry bettered allowing for more captive breeding and the ability to better handle fresh imports

Michael

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
Its no different than the 25 buck histos that were here. Darts did not gain popularity and go up in price until the late 90's when husbandry bettered allowing for more captive breeding and the ability to better handle fresh imports
l

And the economic bubbles put a lot of cash in people's hands resulting in more people getting into the hobby.

Ed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts