Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on vacation for a full week coming up. Almost everything I see on here about vacationing is about keeping the frogs fed and I have no problems with that as I have my dad who has helped me in the past just fine. Also have a mistking so not worried about that.

What I am worried about is the tadpoles. I feel it might be a little too advanced for him to move tads that have their front legs and move the froglets that have fully absorbed tails. I am wondering what the best course of action would be.

Here is my plan of action. I have a communal tadpole setup. I plan to do a large water change right before I leave. This is usually done once a week anyway and at this point I look for tads with front legs. I will pull those then plan to move them to a plastic shoebox that is slightly tilted (of course I will also have some in this shoebox that may be farther along than those just pulled). On the dry side I plan to put sphagnum moss and seed it heavily with springtails. That way any frogs that fully absorb their tails will have some food.

As far as tads that hatch in this time I just plan on leaving them in the petri dish for that time and hope for the best. I will check all my eggs right before leaving.

Just curious if this seems like a good plan or if anyone had suggestions. Would also like to hear anyone else's strategies for tadpoles while on vacation.
 

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
Joined
·
243 Posts
I’m following this thread, because I have a similar concern with my going out of town next week. I’m making sure my partner knows how to feed and mist the adult frogs…but I am kind of worried about the morphing stage that a bunch of tadpoles are in the middle of. My tads are also communal, but I have a few different containers at different stages. I’m hoping a bunch of front legs pop before I leave, so I can start transitioning before I leave. But, it’s likely many will reach that stage while I’m gone. My plan is pretty much the same, so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
When I went out of town most recently, I put the almost-morphed tadpole (they’re Ranitomeya) in a film canister about half full and put it in tilted in one of the froglet bins. Worked great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses! Just an update on how it went. I came back on Saturday. The froglets were fine in the setup with the springtails. As far as the communal tadpoles it was hard to tell. I believe I had 3 in there that looked as if they would bust their front legs any day when I left. When I returned there were 2 that had front legs and one that had just one of it's fronts. If they were the same 3 hard to tell. All and all I'd consider it a success.

The suggestion to put a tilted film canister in the growout is a good one though. I may try that in the future.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top