Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm trying to do my foam waterfall build and I can not find a HOT KNIFE ANYWHERE?!?!?!?!?

Can anyone direct me to where you bought yours?

I have tried ...

<--awesome multi-tool, but the hotknife is 1/2" long and meh...

Amazon.com: Hot Wire Foam Cutter: Toys & Games <--I tried a diff brand, same thing....totally useless (broke within 30 seconds of using)

Amazon.com: The Styro Wonder Hot Knife Cutter Plus: Arts, Crafts & Sewing <--also diff brand, same thing....even worse than the one above

I'm now considering buying : Amazon.com: Electric Hot Knife: Home Improvement as it is the only hotknife with a decent blade I can find under $50-60...

also found this: http://www.wirecare.com/Hot-Knives.asp?gclid=CLjk4NyN4q0CFQdjhwodgjObTQ the $45 hand-held one?

EDIT: I need something that can comfortably cut 1-1.5" foam

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea that looks like the next one on my list to try... just wanted someone to affirm it before I wasted more time/money on another defunct knife...

lets hope fourth times the charm!

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
They are also used in beekeeping to uncap honey for extraction.

Ed

·
Registered
239 Posts
Honestly, I've got 3 different hot knives / soldering irons that each make different cuts much better than the others - it all depends on what shapes you are trying to make.

Most of the time I keep coming back to a weller soldering iron kit that came w/ several different knife tips, but that is because I like to make jagged, shattered looking "rocks". However, this setup doesn't make rounded, eroded ones too well?

Hotwire Foam Factory

I've been eyeing these knives for a while

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@motydesign: actually, thats what I did.....but I just used an AC Transformer to step it down

my wire isn't getting super hot though, its not the proper type of material or something....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts