Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a few stones to a vivarium build to add to the look and usable space but not sure what type of stones are safe. I was thinking of using gobi desert stones (type used in aquariums) due to color and smoothness. I am not sure if there are specific stones to avoid due to minerals and leeching into the vivarium or frog skin. Any thoughts/opinions on if these might be harmful or what some good alternatives would be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
“Safe rocks” pulls up tons of threads where you could find some answers. As for Gobi Desert Stone/Rock, it would be safe to use in your viv after it’s been cleaned. Definitely avoid anything with a high salt content.

·
Administrator
6,492 Posts
what some good alternatives would be
Many vivs have a lack of desirable hiding spots; few of the places that I'd have prejudged to be a good hiding spot (coco hut; that little cave looking area) are places frogs actually seem to seek out for real hiding -- they jam into random spots a keeper might not have even known are there. So, hardscape that is randomly shaped is good: oddly branched ghostwood, gnarly cork (rounds are ideal for adding usable space), probably some of the aquarium-intended driftwood (which I personally haven't used much in vivs since it can be very hard to shape to size).

Some keepers report that their frogs routinely use a smooth rock as a happy place/drying off spot/Yertle The Turtle channeling location, though, so one or two would probably be useful. Personally, I'd go out into the world and pick up a rock and bleach it and use it, but I live where glaciers brought all of Canada's nice rocks and scattered them all over the place and so am spoiled in this regard. :)

Reactions: fishingguy12345

·
Registered
37 Posts
The moment you will have to lift/drag/move the vivarium for whatever emergency reason is when you will realize you shouldn't have added rocks. Been there, done that and those are not adding anything relevant for the frogs to benefit from so, not a fan. I would agree that in a huge tank with huge land space, rocks would probably nicely blend in the leaf litter and break monotony.

my 2 cents

1 - 4 of 4 Posts