Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing up with the 115gl project and the lights will arrive anyday now. They are 3x96w PC's. I contacted a glass shop and they can cut me whatever i need, so i'm wondering what kind of glass should buy. 3/16? Thinner? I want to eliminate warping.

Luke

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
How large will the top be? 3/16 should be fine, but I would go with 1/4" just to be safe, with that thickness it wont break.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's 36 x 24 footprint.

Luke

G

·
Is the top braced? with that big of A top I don't think you'd want to do a solid piece. Thicker glass would be better, but I think if its not braced you'd need to worry about the weight of the glass.

-Tad

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
You don't need to worry about the glass warping. I would go with 3/16" thick glass. When you set up you're lights, make sure the bulbs don't touch the glass.
I know you weren't asking for advice on lights, but I think 2 of the 96 W bulbs would light this tank fine (sounds like 24" H right?). Just something to consider if you're tank starts to get too hot. If the tank stays within proper temp paramaters with all three, you should get awesome plant growth though.
Have fun!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not braced. The tank is 30" high. I wasn't 100% sure about getting 2 96w, so i'm going to try the 3, just to make sure it's enough light. I'm going to tinker with it obviously. The lights will be in a DIY hood so they'll be a few inches from the glass. Probably will have fans installed int here also. We'll see.

Luke

1 - 6 of 6 Posts