Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to see if what my local glass shop just quoted me sounded right.

I asked for a price on:

1 x 22 x 22 inch 3/8 inch thick
2 x 22 x 30 inch 1/4 inch thick
2 x 21.5 x 30 inch 1/4 inch thick

They said it would cost about 210 dollars. Glasscages has quoted me at 114 including shipping. So either my local glass shop is trying to rip me off, or glasscages has amazing prices.

Those who know glass ( pumilio ) can you weigh in on these prices?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
That price seems insanely high to me. I mean you can purchase fully assembled aquariums for a fraction of that price in the size range you're talking about

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I do mostly double pane, insulated units myself, and I only do installed jobs so I don't actually retail glass. Most glass shops are going to have a pretty hefty markup on flat glass, especially if they aren't doing the installation. It may be in line for what you can find through a shop. I've heard some pretty crazy prices when you are getting it all cut to size. I can tell you that MY pricing would be way cheaper than that, but that really doesn't help you. Sorry, I don't ship glass at all.
So I guess all I can really say is to price it around. You may find someone who will do it much cheaper. It would also be cheaper if you did at least some of the cutting yourself. A single piece measuring 44 x 30 may be cheaper than 2 pieces measuring 22 x 30, then you could cut it in half yourself.

·
Registered
956 Posts
$210 is outrageous. I made a 72 gallon (45x18x24) which cost me $115 to make. I pay $3.50 for 1/4" and $2 for 1/8". What I have found is that some glass shops charge you per cut plus a high rate per square foot like $5.50. I was quoted at $250 for my 72 gallon from one shop. This was because they charged me like $10 per cut or something stupid. I asked around and told someone I could get lass for $4 a sq/ft and could he match it. He did and now I buy all my glass from him. Shop around a bit and ask for a price match. glasscages charges $3 something a sq//ft which is cheap so I would use this as your ball park figure and see what you can find.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Some places also have a minimum square footage. My glass manufacturer has a 3 square foot minimum charge. So I can order a piece only 12" x 12" but I get charged for a piece 12" x 36". That's one of the reasons it can be cheaper to do some cutting yourself.

Reactions: eyeviper

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks for all the replies so fast. I am going to call back and see how much they can wiggle with their price. I also called another local shop but their price was so outrageous I won't even bother to post it. Hopefully they will but their number in half. I will also ask about buying the larger sheet and doing the cutting myself. If not then I will place the order with glasscages, and deal with waiting until they are in Mananas.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am the operations manager of a glass shop here in Texas, I would quote this at $189.50 for the three pieces. This is with polished edges on all pieces. If you were just looking for cut pieces with no edge work,maybe a hand polished edge instead. You could expect around $150. If you have any specific questions pm me - Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I just ordered a bunch of glass a week back, all 1/4". 17 x 17 was like $22 apiece for tops for my exo's and zoo med. So, about 100 for 4. 3/8 is a bit more expensive. Aquariums, and glass from glass cages can be the cheaper alternative, because they buy in HUGE volumes, getting much better pricing than mom and pop glass shops.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The glass is worth about 30 dollars wholesale, AT MOST. What you are paying in a small glass shop, is about 2.5 times markup what they pay, PLUS the labor to cut/polish.

Edit: And I should add as an afterthought, some shops will charge you the price of the ENTIRE sheet they cut your piece from if it is not something they normally stock, or will have a use for in the near future (the leftover).

·
Super Moderator
3,555 Posts
This has been my experience as well. (Part of the reason I started making glass components myself years ago) To the OP, You may be able to find a nearby art glass supplier that carries standard clear glass, but they aren't likely to carry 3/8".

What you are paying in a small glass shop, is about 2.5 times markup what they pay, PLUS the labor to cut/polish.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I have yet to see a polished edge on ANY American made Euro style slider. Every one I have ever set eyes on, simply has the sharp corners of each edge sanded off for safety. They may LOOK polished, but if you look closer, you can see the little ripples. That is a dead give-away that it is just cut and edge sanded. There is no need to spend big bucks on polishing.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I wouldnt pay a shop to polish Euro doors, but I spent alot of time myself roundign them over and polishing them. I then go over them with ski wax......and they glide open and close so smoothly

·
Banned
173 Posts
Shop around a little.

My glass order went from about $100 to $600 for the same stuff. I had met the guy that wanted to charge $600 and according to him it was quite a deal.......

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yeah it's rough finding glass at a reasonable rate. I called 8 places before I found one that was reasonable, and they were charging about 1/3 the cost of everywhere else. I hand sanded all of my pieces to save cost.

I would highly recommend avoiding glass cages if possible. Their glass may suffice for vivariums but my experience with using them for an aquarium was bad, to say the least.

·
Registered
52 Posts
does anyone know how to cut/ drill glass safele i have a for instance a 3/4 in hole in 1/2 in glass ---- home depot sells and cuts glass as well do not know the prices yet but they do it here in dallas area

·
Registered
681 Posts
Drilling is easy with a little practice. If you want to learn how to cut and drill glass hands on send me a pm and we can arrange a time for me to show you. I'm 30 minutes south of Dallas :cool:

Casper

does anyone know how to cut/ drill glass safele i have a for instance a 3/4 in hole in 1/2 in glass ---- home depot sells and cuts glass as well do not know the prices yet but they do it here in dallas area

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts