Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a really stupid beginner question, but the glass front of my vivarium is so full of condensation, I can't see my frogs. Is there any way to prevent this and keep high humidity?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yeah but who wants to wipe down the glass every time you want to view your frogs? It's hard to appreciate a vivarium that is constantly covered in condensation.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Yeah but who wants to wipe down the glass every time you want to view your frogs? It's hard to appreciate a vivarium that is constantly covered in condensation.
You don't have to constantly wipe it down... I wipe it down once and it's good for the day, sometimes it doesn't even fog up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't have to constantly wipe it down... I wipe it down once and it's good for the day, sometimes it doesn't even fog up.

My humidity is at 91%, and the glass starts to fog up basically as soon as I close the doors. Should my humidity be lower? I guess I'll just have to keep wiping, unless I do the fan thing.

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
If the glass is clean enough, the condensation will eventually just form a wet coating over the glass that doesnt obstruct the view. I squeegee it clean, then let it get wet for a while. Once the frogs mess it up, i squeegee it again.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
That's just fine if you choose to live without fans. As for me, I'm not going to deny my frogs the health benefits to be gained with the use of fans. Breathing stagnant, air all their lives is not natural. Keeping the air moving within your viv is natural even if it takes a bit of technology to do it. I'm guessing you don't have anything against using a bit of technology to give your frogs some light, am I right?
The benefits are so many, and so obvious that it surprises me that more people are not doing it. It really surprises me that it would be put down by anyone. If you try it in one viv, I guarantee you will want it in all of them. I have never heard anybody who tried it say that it was a mistake and a waste of money. Your frogs will be healthier, especially their respiratory system. Your frogs will most likely live longer. Your frogs will be happier. Put a fan in and watch those shy thumbnails come out and hunt and play. Your plants will respond with better growth. Even the air within your viv will actually smell fresher and sweeter. Why wouldn't it? You are finally circulating it so that your filters (the plants) can clean and polish it. And, of course, it helps to keep the front glass from fogging.
So you want your viv to be natural? How is completely sealed in, windless, and stagnant, natural anywhere in the world? You want natural, go ahead and use a bit of technology. Come on...It's just a fan.;)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
^^^ Just to clarify, I have fans and love them. They still dont keep condensation off all the time though. I find condensation amount changes the most depending on the temperature of the surrounding area. The bigger the difference, the more condensation, so adding a fan may not totally solve your problem. It is however a great addition and it noticeably increases the overall health of the tank.

·
Registered
230 Posts
ok... not to get in between you love birds. but I have been working in Greenhouses for 10 years. ( my side Job before I became a nurse and a special effects guy for WB in Studio city.. ( again.. im not a " king" or " pro" ) like you two... but think about it.. in a greenhouse. you have a fan that exhausts air outside the glass... I always suggest to vent ( I SAY VENT SMALL) outside the vivarium. enough to keep humidity in and yet provide OUTSIDE AIR for plants... I have been a " plant guy" for 10 years.... hey... but what do I know... im just tool in this dart frog world

·
Registered
230 Posts
its JUST A THOUGHT.. but 2008.. I won 2nd place in Los Angeles ( ok... 2nd means loser... I get it!!! ) but these fans are SMALL enough. QUIET ENOUGH!!!! and VENT enough to please you both...otherwise... just send me some digital anthrax and I will withdraw... wait.... is there such a thing as digital anthrax???

NANO CUBE MINI TERRARIUM COOLING BLOWER, QUIET, PLANTS | eBay

·
Registered
835 Posts
Do you want to vent air, or just have air movement? Also how much air movement is too much, do ya want a mini tornado or just a slight breeze?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Do you want to vent air, or just have air movement? Also how much air movement is too much, do ya want a mini tornado or just a slight breeze?
Just a slight breeze. I use mine as internal circulation fans. I do use a small screen as a passive vent but personally I would not recommend venting your viv from inside to out with a fan. It may be good in greenhouses but I set my vivs up for my frogs. If you force humid air out of your viv you are pulling dry air in. I think you would be playing with a pretty fine balance of making things too dry. Besides, in the greenhouses I see here in Colorado, they have huge humidification walls to rehumidify the air coming in.
This would make vivs in Colorado way too dry and send your frogs down into the leaf litter seeking a more humid zone.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
That's just fine if you choose to live without fans. As for me, I'm not going to deny my frogs the health benefits to be gained with the use of fans. Breathing stagnant, air all their lives is not natural. Keeping the air moving within your viv is natural even if it takes a bit of technology to do it. I'm guessing you don't have anything against using a bit of technology to give your frogs some light, am I right?
The benefits are so many, and so obvious that it surprises me that more people are not doing it. It really surprises me that it would be put down by anyone. If you try it in one viv, I guarantee you will want it in all of them. I have never heard anybody who tried it say that it was a mistake and a waste of money. Your frogs will be healthier, especially their respiratory system. Your frogs will most likely live longer. Your frogs will be happier. Put a fan in and watch those shy thumbnails come out and hunt and play. Your plants will respond with better growth. Even the air within your viv will actually smell fresher and sweeter. Why wouldn't it? You are finally circulating it so that your filters (the plants) can clean and polish it. And, of course, it helps to keep the front glass from fogging.
So you want your viv to be natural? How is completely sealed in, windless, and stagnant, natural anywhere in the world? You want natural, go ahead and use a bit of technology. Come on...It's just a fan.;)
I don't think not having a fan is that bad.. I have had frogs with no fans a while now and have never had problems. I open their viv/tub every other day to feed/mist/trim... I think that's enough. It's a personal preference. I wouldn't do anything I KNOW is bad for my frogs, I just feel that it's not a MUST for frogs.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I don't think not having a fan is that bad.. I have had frogs with no fans a while now and have never had problems. I open their viv/tub every other day to feed/mist/trim... I think that's enough. It's a personal preference. I wouldn't do anything I KNOW is bad for my frogs, I just feel that it's not a MUST for frogs.
That's cool Chris, I don't think it's a crime either. I did open with, "That's just fine if you choose to live without fans." I have a run a whole lot of vivs without fans over the years. Now that I've tried them, I like them. I just wanted to point out the additional benefits. There was just the one post (by someone else), that, well, sounded an awful lot like they were ridiculing my use of a fan.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's cool Chris, I don't think it's a crime either. I did open with, "That's just fine if you choose to live without fans." I have a run a whole lot of vivs without fans over the years. Now that I've tried them, I like them. I just wanted to point out the additional benefits. There was just the one post (by someone else), that, well, sounded an awful lot like they were ridiculing my use of a fan.
I wasn't knocking you because of your use of Fans!!!!... I think its great!!!!!! ahhhh... hello!!! why do you think I included a link!!!! I think you rock because you do!!! I was like you.. I didn't use fans for 4 years. I use them now for that past 2.. and its much better..

NANO CUBE MINI TERRARIUM COOLING BLOWER, QUIET, PLANTS | eBay

1 - 20 of 39 Posts