Dendroboard banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
10,415 Posts
You have to use your imagination for your particular light fixture and application. It could be hung from chains/ropes, spaced up with PVC spacers or wood blocks.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
ok i managed to fix something up and raise the lights about an inch and a half. So do you think this will be ok with tempered glass? my 4 24 watt T5 odyssea fixture does not get that hot at all. here are some pics...

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
you got me so scared about the tempered glass breaking into a thousand pieces. I thought with tempered It is ALOT!! less liklely to break. I am only going to mist once a day so you have me worried about temperature changes now... Why did you have to scare me lol is there anything more i can do? or should i be fine ?

· Registered
10,415 Posts
I don't know what else to tell you. They weird cutouts you feel you need to do, make it fragile and iffy. You chose to go tempered instead of providing a diagram or photograph of what you were trying to accomplish.
Now you wait and see if it's going to do the job for you.
My honest opinion: find a way to do it with a simple, standard, rectangle of glass, with possibly one simple corner cut off for cords.

· Registered
3,153 Posts
you got me so scared about the tempered glass breaking into a thousand pieces. I thought with tempered It is ALOT!! less liklely to break. I am only going to mist once a day so you have me worried about temperature changes now... Why did you have to scare me lol is there anything more i can do? or should i be fine ?
Tempered glass can flex more than standard glass without cracking. The thicker you get the glass, the better. 1/4 inch or better is a good idea. Tempered glass has to have a blow stressful enough to shatter the entire piece, it won't normally send cracks through it. It can chip on corners when it is knocked on something, but that is when the risk of shattering comes about. I would think it would be very difficult to damage it in the place where you are putting it if it is tempered.
Also, bear in mind that glass cannot be cut once it has been tempered, so have the tempering done after the glass has been cut.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thank you all for your replys ! I understand alot more then when i started i guess my "wasted money" is a lesson for my new knowledge of glass.

I also put a 4inch fan next to my fixture that blends in really well and is silent and now on a timer

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.