Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 37 gallon high tank with half water/land

I have had a special glass top custom made from a glass store near my house and it cost me $40. I put it on yesterday and within minutes I hear a crack and for no reason a crack right through one of the corner L cuts so I take it back and they redue it. I just put it on and again in the same location it happened! I doubt they will redue it again free of charge, I do not understand why this is happening I only have 4 24 watt T5s over the light and the glass is a good thickness it is not thin.

What do i do? Could it be the glass they use? or is it the corner L cuts that make the glass to sensitive? :(

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I own a glass company. Need some more info though.
1) I don't understand what you mean by a corner "L" cut
2) How thick is the glass?
3) How close are your lights to the glass?
4) Are you sure the top of your tank/viv is nice and flat? No small piece of sand or something in the way?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the glass is half a Cm thick and by L cuts i mean i have both corners of the glass cut in an L shape About 2 inches long and 1 inch wide on two corners so some tubing can run through. There is NOTHING blocking it and the lights are about 1 and a half Cm away from the glass

Thanks for the help. The glass shop is not a fish store so i dont know if there is a special glass i need to ask for since maybe they thought i was framing something?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Sounds like you need to raise your lights 1.5cm is pretty close to the glass 24w T-5s still get pretty hot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant raise my lights I dont even know how. the lights have "legs" for the rim of the tank. And it cant be the heat it happens in about one minute only? the glass is not boiling hot when i touched it.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Still can't quite picture your L cuts. A photo might help. But any decorative cutting is going to make it weaker. Especially when you add some heat from the lights. It will expand and contract funny.
Fish tanks generally use a plastic strip along the back to cut out odd shapes for tubes, cords, and the like. That way they avoid the odd cuts.
If there is no other way, consider having one tempered for strength. That will cost you though.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Edge stress concentration! Instead of an L, just get the corner cut at a 45.
Probably cheaper that way too. If your L cut is what I'm thinking, that's a bit of a trick and probably half the price.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still can't quite picture your L cuts. A photo might help. But any decorative cutting is going to make it weaker. Especially when you add some heat from the lights. It will expand and contract funny.
Fish tanks generally use a plastic strip along the back to cut out odd shapes for tubes, cords, and the like. That way they avoid the odd cuts.
If there is no other way, consider having one tempered for strength. That will cost you though.

Ill see if tommarow i find a picture of the L cut. The reason i wanted this shape was to avoid excess airflow which would reduce the humidity in my tank plus the extra glass in the back provided the holes for my mistking nozzels to attach two ( i also had two one inch holes drilled in the middle for the nozzels) I have a filter for the large amount of water in my tank connected to the side of my tank. I had the glass cut shorter (on one side) then the length of my tank so i can continute to hang the filter on the side. thats why i dident want to buy a "versa top" piece of glass. I hope they will give me my money back I dont know how to ask without sounding like an idiot bringing in a broken glass for the second day in a row.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You could ask them to cut a couple of inches off the glass that you have and only replace that section with another that has your "L" corner notches or 45 degree cuts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could ask them to cut a couple of inches off the glass that you have and only replace that section with another that has your "L" corner notches or 45 degree cuts.
How would they connect both sections? at this point i think iv bothered them alot i dont know if they will do me another favor, i hope this dosent turn out into some fight. I had the glass cut like this in two corners:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/workbench/outdoor/wsxtwb12dim_red_workbench.jpg

So everyone thinks the corners caused two much stress????????? interesting ... how do windows deal with the heat as i am sure they get more then my top lid and dont crack.

·
Registered
752 Posts
So at 1.5 cm you are setting the fixture directly on the glass? we are talking centimeters not inches right? sounds to me like it may be weight. does the fixture clear the edges so the weight is on the frame or does it sit on the glass only? you may need thicker glass, but in any case you need to prop the lights up off the top, four t5s will get the glass really hot at that distance. I have my 4' two light strip like at least six inches off the top of my tanks and the temp on top still reaches into the low 80's, i even have a small fan blowing over the tops to keep the glass cool. But as far as the breaking, i would say weight

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there is no weight on glass the fixture has legs. how do you suspend your lights? I am starting to think that maybe the cut of the glass is what made the piece sensitive as i took off two corners and the break always begins in the same corner

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went back to the store to sum everything up i am going to get the glass temperered and it is going to cost me $60. So i ended up spending $120 in attempts to make a glass top. Talk about a waste of money!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am sorry that you are having problems with the glass. Your top doesn't have to be one piece. You can seal the seam with clear packing tape. When glass is cut it usually follows the straight score line. By cutting a square corner out of the glass you basically are cutting two scoring lines that are likely to crack. I usually grind an oval out around cords or like was suggested make a straight cut across the corner of the glass.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I wish you could have gotten a picture of what you are trying to accomplish here. It sure sounds like you are spending way too much for what should be a simple solution. We can only help so much when we don't really know exactly what you are doing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ill see if i could get a pic up later on today but in the end it does not matter since the glass is going to be tempered so this is not going to crack due to heat.......................right:confused:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I am not sure where you are located, but I know some place in the states still have snow or pretty cold temps. If you are adding the glass directly when you get home without letting it come to room temps, this could be another reason why it is cracking.

I also agree, the lights are far too low.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Contraction from being cold, followed by expansion from the heat from the low lights, combined with weird funky cutouts that are not used on glass tops for good reason, equals cracked glass.
Hopefully, being tempered, or heat treated, will help the problem. But I don't believe that it is the best solution.
Your potential problem now will be that if it doesn't fix the problem, and it "cracks" again, it won't just crack, it will break up into several hundred very small pieces, scattered all over the inside of your viv.
I sincerely hope it fixes your problem and I'm sorry you were unable to get pictures so we could help you find the right solution.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts