Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am in the market for a 1 1/8" glass drill bit. Anyone have a good place to buy one that isn't too over priced? I have a 10mm bit from AmeriGlass, works great but they don't seem to carry 1 1/8". Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Richard

I have been reading some of the older posts and found most people use water to lube the bit. Water really doesn't work. Try veggie oil, it makes a much smoother cut and the bit won't bind up at all. I start with just a small dab, then add a little more as I go. Clean up kinda sucks, but its better than sitting in the bath tub or with a hose.

G

·
Just a hint... Do not apply ANY pressure when drilling. Let the drill bit do all the work. Sometimes even the weight of the drill will crack the glass, especially when coming through the other side.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jared, I agree for the most part. I do however end up having to put a bit of pressure on the drill to keep it in place. Once the hole gets started I ease up a little. All it takes is a couple practice holes to really get a feel for drilling.

-Richard

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've used both water and oil to drill the glass. The difference is night and day, oil is hands down the key IMO. Glass breaks from the bit binding up, the oil prevents this from happening.

Anyway, where do i get a 1 1/8" bit! hahah.

Richard

·
Registered
886 Posts
tuthelimit,

If you get the bit, I might be willing to go 1/3rd with you if we could both use it, but you keep it. I have some bulkheads to install, and I think they are 1 inch bukheads... but I'll have to measure.

This assumes you would be back in the Laurel, MD area sometime soon. PM me if interested.

Ameriglass has a 1 1/6" and a 1 3/16"... do you need an exact hole? Bulkheads are kept watertight by the gaskets, not by a compression fit.

Josh

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Josh,

I'm not exactly sure. I still have to order the bulkheads, the smallest I could find is 1/2". I won't be back in Laurel until December, but i'll let you use the bit if you are still intrested, or I could simply ship it to you.

-Richard

I'll PM you later.

G

·
Ah... he beat me to it!
While water is easy to use and clean up I will say that a lubricant helps a lot. Never tried veggie oil, but antifreeze works really good and a cutting oil we got from the glass shop works great!
I still think the bathtub is a great place to drill holes in tanks in the winter however ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts