Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please post pics of their P. bicolor setup? I am setting up an Exo terra 18x18x24 for a few juvies and would love some ideas for the background and decor. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Get in touch with Mike Novy at rainforestjunkies.com, he breeds these giants and would have all the care tips and husbandry techniques in necessity...

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Still waiting for Michael Novy to set up his breeders this season and give 'em all a go! Apparently, he gets daily emails on the subject, so we're not alone in the desire for the Giants...

·
Registered
294 Posts
They have 3 at Fauna in NYC. I saw them there this weekend, their heads are gigantic!!! Very cool frog!! I would image that an adult would need a bigger setup than a 18x18x24 though.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
They really don't move much, so an 18x18x24 is sufficient for a pair.
While a cage of that size would be sufficient for captive borns, I would recommend nothing less than a 2' by 2' by 4' screen cage for WCs. They tend to stress easily and are subject to nose rub in smaller cages. In addition as a canopy dweller they are really better off with the ventilation that a screen can provide as well as a decent hotspot and a source of UV lighting.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
The Wild Caught animals take a beating, I would wait for the prized Captive Bred ones to be honest, it'll be worth it. As I told you, he hasn't bred them YET this year, so be patient with Mike. You can ways try P. sauvagii, they're smaller but a close relative and nearly as 'waxy' -- plus I believe he has these in at the moment ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
While a cage of that size would be sufficient for captive borns, I would recommend nothing less than a 2' by 2' by 4' screen cage for WCs. They tend to stress easily and are subject to nose rub in smaller cages. In addition as a canopy dweller they are really better off with the ventilation that a screen can provide as well as a decent hotspot and a source of UV lighting.
I have mine in almost this exact same setup. A fully screened cage with a moist bottom in my case moistened poret foam (which is washable), two large branches, and a water bowl. I live in Southern California and it's very arid here and they seem to do fine. I mist once in the morning and once at dusk but it's a lighter misting. They soak themselves almost religiously at night then eat then sleep. I also have an infra red basking lamp for them at night as it gets cool here at night they will climb up towards the lamp and stay at their comfortable gradient.

I have had mine WC for 2 yrs now and they seem to be doing just fine, although I had some close calls with parasites last year and a bacteria infection on one of the guys backs. After getting proper meds from Dr. Fry and following his regiment exactly as he prescribed they recovered fine.
WC is definitely a risk for parasites, stressed out individuals, and generally just more prone to health issues.

I have another group of CB ones from Novy a little older than my wc they have not had any problems since they were froglets. I would definitely recommend CB over the WC as they are much easier to care for and less chance of any health issues.

WC captive 2 yrs

CBB Novy almost 3 yrs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is a picture of 2 I found in Bolivia, had to climb the tree at night about 20ft to get the photos, hehe. The other is a phyllo. campa.

but lovely frog.

cheers
Rasmus

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
You could probably keep 'em all in the same room, just have different lights: i.e. LEDS for the DARTS and CPL/SPOTS for the Tree Frogs and Waxies and Geckos! Problem Solved ;)

Speaking of which, I switched a few compact flourescent bulbs out for light-your-reptile LED bulbs, and the DIFFERENCE is ASTOUNDING to say the least............especially HEAT output AND lighting!!!! I'll have to do a write up for sure ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts