Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
EpiWeb is Polyethylene terephthalate > Epiweb I also see scrub pads that say they are nylon. Searching gray scrub pads comes up with a lot of results that look very similar Epiweb I'm planning on buying a bunch for a upcoming project.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
EpiWeb is Polyethylene terephthalate > Epiweb I also see scrub pads that say they are nylon. Searching gray scrub pads comes up with a lot of results that look very similar Epiweb I'm planning on buying a bunch for a upcoming project.
Just keep in mind that Matala and Epiweb have opposite properties.
  • Matala is polyester and is hydrophobic. If you want a material similar to Matala that does not wick water from the drainage layer at all, you want polyester scrub pads.
  • Epiweb is specifically made to wick as much as possible. If you want something that wicks and is more similar to Epiweb, nylon is hydrophilic.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Just keep in mind that Matala and Epiweb have opposite properties.
  • Matala is polyester and is hydrophobic. If you want a material similar to Matala that does not wick water from the drainage layer at all, you want polyester scrub pads.
  • Epiweb is specifically made to wick as much as possible. If you want something that wicks and is more similar to Epiweb, nylon is hydrophilic.

In my experience Epiweb doesn't wick much at all. Although it does hold onto a certain amount of moisture when wetted.

Hygrolon is the material that actively wicks water.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
In my experience Epiweb doesn't wick much at all. Although it does hold onto a certain amount of moisture when wetted.

Hygrolon is the material that actively wicks water.
From the Epiweb website (emphasis is theirs):
Epiweb. consists of a plastic material that will not decompose and it will always keep itself moist and free from substances which could harm roots. Epiweb is 100 % Toxic free and are made of 70 % recycled plastic. It is avaliable in several designs, for planting in pots and as slabs.
Material description: Polyetylentereftalat (PET)
Waterkeeping ability: 76% of its own weight

It doesn’t wick as much as Hygrolon, but it’s not hydrophobic like Matala.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Horticultural capillary matting will wick, but I think not as far as one would think (vertically, anyway) if memory serves. I had the idea a few years ago to try a piece of it with the bottom edge in water hanging in front of a small fan to try to increase humidity on a plant stand shelf, but it didn't work in that it didn't wick far enough to stay wet in front of the air current. Maybe if dipped on the upper edge in a water reservoir and allowed to seep downwards, that would wick further due to gravity, which I believe is how folks get Hygrolon to stay damp over greater distances. Anyway, I keep meaning to try capillary matting as a background in a small terrarium. Capillary matting is sold online, often by African Violet and/or greenhouse supply companies, and looks/feels like felt, though I don't recall what material it's made out of.

Kind of the opposite of the OP's request (something non-wicking I assumed), but there it is.

I have found Matala pretty easy to cut to size, at least, which might not be the case for other alternatives.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts