Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's video from yesterday of a large group of sub-adult Giant Orange tinctorius in a bit of a feeding frenzy.

Take care, Richard.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lukeomelas,

There are actually nine sub-adults in a 20 gallon long tank. They were raised together as babies and fed heavily every day (so, hense, no real competition). Now that they are reaching maturity, though, they'll have to be paired-off to avoid any stress setting in.

Take care, Richard.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Great video Rich! All them coming out of that coco hut was pretty cute lol. You got some nice looking frogs there. If you need someone to take a few off your hands when you have to seperate them, I'll be here ;)

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Chris,

They would always hide-out in a big pile when they were young. They've become a lot bolder as they reach maturity. I like to think they're having a good poker game in the hut together!

Richard.

Reactions: Melmo

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
were those hydei that you were feeding them? Nice frogs by the way. I like how the blue flashes when they move around! Thanks for sharing your video.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Bill,

These are F2s from my original pair of Nabors line Giant Oranges. There's been a lot of discussion about inbreeding of frogs, so I am putting sib pairs together from each generation and seeing how well the breeding comes out. With the F2s, the frogs look just fine. We'll have to see how the F3s turn out.

I'm going to take some photos or video of the "Giant Reginas" tomorrow and post them in this section. The first group is reaching sub-adult size and are really beautiful.

Take care, Richard.

Stunning frogs! I have a question, whose lineage are they or are they from your project that mixes GO and Regina? Bill

Reactions: billschwinn

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Varanoid,

I normally feed my tinctorious black D. Hydei, but have had a bad crash in those cultures (from contaminated yeast). These were just lots and lots of wingless D. melanogasters.

I also culture Golden Hydei and recommend them very much for these size frogs.

Take care, Richard.

were those hydei that you were feeding them? Nice frogs by the way. I like how the blue flashes when they move around! Thanks for sharing your video.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Lisa.

I generally try to find homes for my frogs when they are froglet/juveniles. Once they reach this size, it becomes harder to say goodbye to them!

Take care, Richard.

Beautiful frogs Richard.

·
Registered
446 Posts
HAHA Luek I was thinking the same thing..

Beautiful frogs.. wish I had more cash I would have to pick some of these up rich.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Rich that is awesome! I vote that a group of frogs like that is henceforth referred to as a stampede of frogs, like a pod of whales, murder of crows etc..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Bill,

These are F2s from my original pair of Nabors line Giant Oranges. There's been a lot of discussion about inbreeding of frogs, so I am putting sib pairs together from each generation and seeing how well the breeding comes out. With the F2s, the frogs look just fine. We'll have to see how the F3s turn out.

I'm going to take some photos or video of the "Giant Reginas" tomorrow and post them in this section. The first group is reaching sub-adult size and are really beautiful.

Take care, Richard.
So these came from a pair of W/C that Nabors originally had? How old is your original F-1 pair?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Marc,

I'm not sure that Patirck's frogs were wild-collected or if his pair originally came from Sean Stewart. I started counting the generations from my pair. So, the first generation I produced were F1s and the second generation were the F2s. F1 doesn't have to mean they are the first generation from the wild (though I understand that that is how many in the hobby use the denotation).

Take care, Richard.

So these came from a pair of W/C that Nabors originally had? How old is your original F-1 pair?

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Richard,

I would suggest calling the cross "Giant x Regina" to avoid confusion with other frogs with "Giant" in their names like Giant Cobalts etc.

Also, while I completely understand your rationale for your use of F1, F2 ect, it is not the hobby 'standard' and may be confused by some members to mean 'generations from WC', which is our more typical use of the generation numbering....

Best,

Hi Bill,

Take care, Richard.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Shawn,

Then maybe it is our good work to educate the hobby on what generational nomenclature is. If I say the frogs are F2s from my original pair, I think that explains it enough. With many frogs in the hobby, it is not possible to say precisely what generation from the wild one might be working with, so we do need a way to denote the generations that don't relate directly back to imported frogs.

Take care, Richard.

Richard,

I would suggest calling the cross "Giant x Regina" to avoid confusion with other frogs with "Giant" in their names like Giant Cobalts etc.

Also, while I completely understand your rationale for your use of F1, F2 ect, it is not the hobby 'standard' and may be confused by some members to mean 'generations from WC', which is our more typical use of the generation numbering....

Best,

Reactions: fleshfrombone
1 - 20 of 42 Posts