Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get 2 azureus froglets. While I was reading the Dendrobates azureus & tinctorius - Novice caresheet I also read this: "It is generally observed that they do not do well when raised in pairs or smaller groups, when it has been noted that usually at least one will develop serious problems."

Does this mean I should house them separately in different growout tanks before putting them into a large terrarium?

I also wanted to know how likely is it for them to fight when they are adults?

·
Registered
483 Posts
This means that froglets like the company of other froglets and it is best to have 3 or more froglets in the group. That is what I got out of it and have read and experienced.

Froglets are fine to raise together but you should be diligent in checking on every frog to make sure there isn't a noted weight loss or anything else going on. This does not mean dig around in the tank every day, just notice as you are feeding. This will get you use to their normal behaviors and you will be able to pick out abnormal behaviors easily.

Adult do best in a male/female pair. Some people have success with two males and one female, but you should watch carefully for aggression.

I would do a lot more research before getting your froglets, especially different signs of aggression as it is a lot more subtle than say, dogs.

Welcome to the addiction. The search tab is also priceless and even googling "dendroboard.com froglet aggression" or something similar, will yield a more specific search.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's funny because I thought the complete opposite that they like to be raised alone and not in large groups. I would love to have three but I definitely wouldn't be able to afford that. I'm planning on getting them in another 2-3 weeks though so I'll definitely have plenty of time to roam the internet for hours to find information. I did about a month of research before I got a chinchilla (she's 4 now but I've had her for 2 years and she's doing great), and I do know that being well-educated in the pet you want to care for is definitely very important. Thanks for the info about agression. I was only able about to find 2-3 posts related to my question. That's why I decided to make a thread so someone more experienced could answer the specific question I had. But I really do appreciate all your information and advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Are you planning on getting your froglets from a petstore or from a breeder? Generally speaking, if you can locate a local breeder (let us know where you're located and someone on her could help with that I'm certain) you will get a better price on healthier frogs. I know my local pet stores are asking like $70 a pop for auratus, azureus, and leucs when they have them, yet I can get them considerably cheaper if I talk to the local guys who breed them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm planning on getting them from rainforestherps.com from Chris I was just able to recently find out he lives in the same city as I do. He just didn't change it on their website so I thought he was still located in NC. And I definitely agree I haven't bought any pets from the pet store. I had my betta imported from thailand and my chinchilla from a breeder. You really never know the health of animals at pet stores or illnesses they might have and with many pets it's highly recommended to avoid them. Thanks for your concern and support.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts