Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my new 18 gallon tanks that I've decided to put my vents in, I've decided to silicone the sides black. But I'm having a horrible time getting it on so that light doesn't shine through the sides. I have to keep going over and over the same area. I was using popcicle sticks (clean ones sold for crafts) but ended up just smearing it with my bare fingers with better results. Can anyone shed light on how it might be done more efficiently with less waste? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I use putty knives to spread my silicone on and it is fairly easy to get a even coat.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Yeah, get a putty knife in the paint section of a hardware store. The thing with siliconing the sides, is that you will need to put a lot of it on so that light doesnt shine through. But you don't really need to put that much on, because once you have a falsebottom and substrate behind the silicone, light will not be able to shine throughit as it was when there was nothing there. This is a bit hard to explain, but basically you don't need a lot of it on the glass, you won't see the light shining through once the substrate is in.

Luke

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion guys. Not having any plastic cards I wanted to sacrifice, I went to Lowe's and got a 3 pack of various sized plastic putty knives for $0.88. I just used the medium sized one (about 2" across the blade) and I'm amazed by the difference it made. Much less wasted caulk, much less mess that I'll end up scraping off the front, and most importantly, it took about 1/3rd the time and I got more even coverage.

·
Registered
329 Posts
How are you guys putting the silicone on the greatstuff after you spray that on? I used a old paint brush that I cut down a little to make it more stiff but, would like to know what everyone else is using....
Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I just put on some latex gloves, and use my hands. It's pretty easy to get it into those tight spots.

Luke

·
Registered
329 Posts
I tried that too. Worked pretty good.
I should have posted picture during the build process.
I can always post the finished product.
I have another 20 gallon tank that I need to build too.
The first one was pretty much a trial run with the info that I have taken from you guys/gals off this board.
Thanks,
Brad

G

·
Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but I'm new at setting up vivariums... What is the purpose for using black silicone on the interior of the back of the tank? I understand wanting to black it out, but when I've wanted to black out the back of an aquarium I have always just spray painted the OUTSIDE of the back panel. It seems like it would be a lot more trouble using silicone and working on the inside of the tank this way.

G

·
Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but I'm new at setting up vivariums... What is the purpose for using black silicone on the interior of the back of the tank? I understand wanting to black it out, but when I've wanted to black out the back of an aquarium I have always just spray painted the OUTSIDE of the back panel. It seems like it would be a lot more trouble using silicone and working on the inside of the tank this way.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Arachnid said:
Looks mostly. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't silicone the back, probably just the edges to keep the frogs out. I like being able to see what is behind the cork bark. In the spots that I missed, I can see springtails and such when I periodically check back there with a mirror and flashlight. Given the nearly 10oz of silicone I used, it is extremely unlikely that a frog could ever get back there, but I would prefer to be able to look back there just in case. I would probably go with something that is removable if I had to do it over like some sort of static cling plastic similar to the stuff that comes on the front panel of electronics you buy from the store. Obscures the back and sides, but can be removed for viewing. Finally, less silicone means less cure time for your vivarium.

$ 0.02

·
Registered
228 Posts
For those that want something that will block the view of the back, but can be easily removed for inspection purposes, there is an automotive window tint that is static cling. It comes in a dark grey color. You can stick on the outside to block the view to the back, and just peel it off if you need to check back there, and then stick it back. It is available at most places that sell automotive accessory items. It comes on a roll and you can cut it to fit.

Cindy Dicken
Vivarium Concepts
http://www.vivariumconcepts.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts