Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used turpentine instead of Xylene in the tank to thin the silicone for the background. It's been over a month since application, and now that I've started misting plants, the smell is real strong. Hoping to get rid of smell before I add frogs.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
We don't use pine wood in our vivs due the problems with the oils in it. It can cause respiration problems. Reptiles and amphibians are irritated by the oils and smells it releases.
Turpentine is made from pine oils. Some are more pure than others but if you bought it at a hardware store it is probably full of pine oil which will never evaporate.
I don't believe turpentine should ever be used in a viv.
Sorry.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
throw away the tank. i doubt it will ever be good for frogs since the chemicals are going to persist for a very long time. unlike xylene or toluene which evaporate leaving almost 0 residue, what you used is distilled conifer resin (which is pretty nasty stuff)

it really is worthwhile to take the extra time and effort to follow the advice of other knowledgeable members on topics which your not familiar. cutting corners gets you nowhere in this hobby.

james

1 - 6 of 6 Posts