Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a male for my female 3 months ago and almost everyday since then they have been courting, most of the time all day long, I have 3 film canisters in there on suction cups on the glass, one is at a 45 degree angle one is vertical and one is horizontal. I also have pothos, three fireballs, and two large peperomia caperta in there and still no eggs. Anybody have any ideas on how too get them too lay some eggs? The temps are 80 in the tank, I thought about decreasing temps, but when I did that I never had any courting. I am open to all suggestions. If you give me the idea that gets me some eggs from them you will be rewarded, I am not sure with what but it will be good.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're definitely a pair, so I will just give them more time, and decrease the temps. alittle. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
That's what I've heard also, if there is a screen ventilation on the top or sides of you're viv, try covering them up for a while.

·
Registered
666 Posts
it sounds weird but try flooding the tank 1/4-1/2 in above the substrate works for me every time . :) Also refer to my post on egg laying sites

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tank has a solid glass lid, right now the water line is about a quarter inch from the top of the substrate, I'll try flooding them today. Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
This does not sound safe at all, and should not be needed. I mist mine daily and they are breeding. one tank has very low airflow and the other has a fan.

Give em time...

Darren Meyer said:
it sounds weird but try flooding the tank 1/4-1/2 in above the substrate works for me every time . :) Also refer to my post on egg laying sites

G

·
I've had my imitators since this past Easter weekend and they didn't lay until about a month ago. I had tried everything I could think of...misting the tank 3-4 times which resulted in flash floods, rearranging the film canisters and gradual temp changes. During this time, I had been using white film canisters as well as different colored medicine bottles (all fo which were translucent. Just before they laid, I changed one of the white canisters out for a black one and positioned this 45 degrees upside down. 2 days later, they laid in the black canister, and have produced 2 further clutches.

-Bill J.

G

·
I have no idea if this will work for imitators but it worked for my tincs, try seperating them for a month and then reintroducing them. I did that and had eggs that night. It's a different idea at least. :wink:

G

·
I separated my tincs well one female from the other two. She wouldn't eat, and the other two seemed to stop showing interetst in eachother. Was odd, I put them back together a 4 days later.

-Tad

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try all theese things out, and contact the person with the idea that got them breeding, and tell them what I have available.

G

·
My pair seem to breed when I set them up in new vivs.I put them in their newest viv about 1 1/2 weeks ago and now have 3 new eggs developing
MW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts