Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

ive just setup my vivarium with plants etc.

I got a hygrometer which I think is faulty after a light spray the humidity went up to 99 percent and stayed there for 24 hours but the plants etc are dry and no condensation at all on the tank

I didn’t get the hydrometer wet either

so what is the best way to get the humidity to where u want it to be is it a matter of misting every time the plants dry out how do u guys do it and for the initial setup spray is it best do get the back etc wet tree fern

thanks

jonny

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since you live in the UK the relative air humidity can be quite high, especially on warm days with heavy rain.
Hence, your hygrometer can show the 99 percent without you spraying and with the plants being dry.
That being said, hygrometers that are in the enclosure 24/7 are notorious for breaking and shouldn't be used for accurate measurement.

I think much of the humidity is also a bit of common sense. You want to provide a gradient inside your enclosure, where there are wet parts as well as more dry parts, without the tank drying out. Also look at the frogs behaviour; do they seem to spend all there time on for example pieces of wet spagnum? Increase misting.

Lots of people have an automated misting system on a programmed misting schedule.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Most of the cheaper hygrometers break down after a bit. Honestly many folks don't measure humidity in the viv at all (maybe a cross-check or two), but the best way to track it is (i) your frogs and (ii) observing your plants and leaf litter.

We usually mist in the morning and target the leaf litter drying off in the early afternoon and no more misting until the next morning. In the "rainy season", a small misting around noon does the trick.

If you stick to that schedule and still notice a few drops of water in your viv in the early evening you should be ok.

Your darts also know what's best - so you'll notice if its too dry if they are always hiding in "microclimate" spots (e.g. under a wetter leaf, etc.) compared to "natural behavior", which would be hopping around the entire viv.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that most humidity gauges are trash in a constantly humid environment. If there is condensation your tank is plenty humid. If the ground is looking soggy all the time, you need to let it dry out/more ventilation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts