Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new to this site and dart frogs! I have a 10 gallon aquarium set up until My 25 gallon tall is empty when I get my bull frog into a bigger tank. Im going to a reptile show next month and am having trouble deciding which frog to choose, Im not going to ask anyone to pick a frog for me, but I have narrowed it down to either a leucomelas or a tinctorius 'powder blue'. Which do you guys think is a better beginner frog and would use the space of a 25 gallon tall more? Im on my Wii right now so can't post any pictures of my current setup right now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like tincs more because they are bigger and more active. My leucomelas are not as active as my tincs but I know that many memeber's leucomelas are just as active as tincs are. If you are going to use a 25 gallon tall I would go with the leucomelas because they will use the height of the tank more compaired to tincs which will mostly chill on the floor of the viv. They are both great frogs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would go with Tincs my Cobalts are my favorite out of all the frogs I have. They are always out at the front of the tank and they don't run when I am working inside the enclosure. My leucs are bold but a little shy and will run once I touch the doors on the terrarium. As said before Leucs may work in the 25 tall because they will go vertical more and can be in groups. But they are both great choices and I am glad I can have both in my collection.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I guess I'm one of those people who dont solve very much... but my best oppinion would be to go for what you like the most, and is most convenient care wise for you. Usually tincs, and leucs have relatively easy care. And if it helps any, quite often my tincs climb all over everything!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a coco hut in there and I just planted the Pothos a week or so ago, and am getting the frogs in June, would the Pothos grow out enough or would I still need to add more plants? I'm still going to get more leaf litter tomorrow, though.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Don't worry...within a matter of months that pothos will fill your tank! I have a black thumb and the stuff grows like crazy for me...there's no stopping it. Good thing the frogs seem to like it! :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Pothos in the end is hard to control and wraps it's self around everything. The roots destroy your substrate and must be cut to be removed. That said it is wicked easy and will eventually fill your viv, not real thick but very green. My azureus tank is almost all pothos, do plan on changing that, but the frog seem to like it. I would go with the tinc honestly unless you plan on adding more depth to your background. even leucs once they are adults wont spend much time on the BG unless there are shelves or something to climb. That one looks great, but unless it is just the angle, it looks pretty much vertical.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The background is pretty much vertical (althouh there is a pot for a pothos to grow out of that could be used as a shelf) but my bullfrog is in a 25 gallon tall and as soon as I get a larger tank for him then I am going to put the tincs in it and will be sure to make shelves on the background.

Also, I've decided to go with the tincs, but are all tincs the same species, or is there a difference besides appearance?

·
Registered
19 Posts
both frogs are considered begginer frogs so they shouldent be a problem. but the verticalness fo your background means nothing, as long as its rough any dart(more or less) can climb it, my splashbacks climb up my exoterra background better then my tree frog could, he just jumped the whole thing. but out of the two species its up to you, i have to admitt my freinds luecs were very active but not amazingly bold(they feared the cat starign at them from my freinds computer desk), but like i said they are always active and will be active as long as you remain relativly still

1 - 14 of 14 Posts